Please note, we are only currently recruiting for weekday daytime volunteer opportunities.
What is the Role of the Volunteer?
Accessing health care can often be an overwhelming and stressful experience. Volunteers provide assistance to patients and their families in a variety of roles throughout a patient’s health care journey. Although there are several different volunteer opportunities available at each site, some of our key positions include:
- Volunteer Visitors – Visiting with patients and engaging with them in conversation and activities to make their hospital stay a little more enjoyable
- Volunteer Wayfinders – Arriving at a hospital door, stressed by the need to have to come to the hospital, struggling to find a parking spot and be on time for an appointment – the volunteer Wayfinder will welcome patients, families and visitors and offer guidance and support
- Volunteer Supported Retail Shops – Volunteering in our beautiful gift shops while providing compassionate retail service to patients, visitors and staff. Funds raised are used to support patient comfort and care
- Emergency Programs – Arriving at the door of an Emergency department either for your own needs or arising from the call of your family can be overwhelming. The ER volunteer will support patients and families in getting the support they need
What are the qualities of a Volunteer?
If you are interested in volunteering with Alberta Health Services (AHS), consider whether or not you have an interest and ability in:
- Being able to work collaboratively with health care providers to improve care and experiences for patients and their families throughout Alberta
- Having a strong desire to help others
- Being a compassionate listener
- Having an ability to show respect for the perspectives of others
- Having an ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Have a willingness to give your time on a consistent basis for a minimum of one year
- Previous experience with a pediatric population highly desirable.
Curious to learn more?
If you think that volunteering with AHS is right for you and you are ready to get started, just follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Click the [Fill in an Application] button on the right-hand side of this page and complete an application form.
Step 2: Volunteer Resources will review your information and be in contact with you to arrange a 1:1 chat to learn more about your interests and availability. This will also give you an opportunity to get your questions answered. You will also be asked to supply two (2) references.
Step 3: If it is agreed that volunteering with AHS is something that you would like to pursue, you will be asked to complete our volunteer on-boarding process including:
- Completing a Police Information Check (with Vulnerable Sector Screen if required)
- Completing a Communicable Disease Assessment Form
- Participating in Confidentiality and Privacy Training, including signing the AHS’s Confidentiality Form
- Participating in our online, site, and program specific orientations
- Signing a photo and media consent form
Step 4: Learn how to use our volunteer system, how to sign up for opportunities and how to enter volunteer hours. This can occur during or after on-boarding is complete.
If you have any questions, please contact us by email email@example.com
Thank you for your interest in Volunteer Resources!