Angel's Watch Provide-a-Meal Program
Angel’s Watch Family Shelter provides short-term emergency housing to families in crisis. During their stay families gain a stable environment to establish family routines (dinner, homework, sleep, school, work), support to find safe housing that meets their needs, gainful employment, and other resources. Typically, families stay 30-60 days.
Impact of the volunteer:
The dinners that Provide-a-Meal Teams prepare for the residents of Angel’s Watch ensure families have a nutritious and filling meal around which to gather at the end of the day. A meal together nourishes the body and the spirit and the sense of belonging and care.
Provide-a-Meal Teams work best when they include a coordinator who is the point of contact for all the team members and 4 to 7, or more, team members. It’s helpful if the team includes a few “on call” members who can step in when needed.
Duties & Responsibilities of Provide-a-Meal volunteers:
Provide a meal for 70 people by doing one of the following:
- Once a month prepare and deliver a meal to feed 70 people
- Once, prepare and deliver a meal to feed 70 people
- Underwrite the cost of a meal for 70 people which the staff will prepare
- Purchase and deliver a meal for 70 people
Confirm commitment to bring a meal a week in advance of scheduled delivery
Provide-a-meal Teams must be able to do one of the following:
- Assemble a team of people to contribute some portion of a meal, selected from the approved menu, for 70 people
- Purchase the meal ingredients and 9x13 foil pans and foil
- Prepare a portion of the meal that together with others will feed ~70 people
- Include heating/cooking instructions for the meal
- Confirm a week in advance
- Secure substitute volunteers to cover weeks when the PAM group will not be able to keep their commitment
- Deliver the meal to Angel's Watch at 4:30 PM
Desired Skills, Experience & Characteristics:
Decent home cooks who can follow a recipe
The Provide-a-Meal Teams will demonstrate the community’s commitment to care for the most vulnerable people
The Provide-a-Meal Teams will develop their own group’s identity as a meaningful contributor to the community.
The Provide-a-Meal volunteers use the information linked below to plan:
- Once a month for a year
- Approximately 4 hours/team member to shop and prepare food and deliver to the Team Coordinator
- Approximately 1 hour for the Team Coordinator to deliver the meal
Provide-a-Meal Events (e.g., meal or a holiday meal)
- One time ~ 4 hours/ per team member to prepare the meal
- ~4 hours to deliver and serve the meal
- Purchase and deliver a meal for the ~70 residents of the shelter ($300-$500)
Deliver the meals to Angel's Watch, 11670 Doolittle Dr. Waldorf, MD 20602
For More Information Call:
- Kathleen Ruben, Program Manager, Angel’s Watch, Kathleen.Ruben@CC-DC.org, 301.274.0680 ext. 162
- Apply to serve in this role (link to application). Click the Fill in an application button to the right to submit an application for your group.
- After submitting your application, scroll down to the Schedule heading and click the + Sign Up button to register for a volunteer shift.
- Show up at the project location for your volunteer shift.
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday Evening
- Tuesday Evening
- Wednesday Evening
- Thursday Evening
- Friday Evening
- Saturday Evening
- Sunday Evening