Gallery and Exhibitions
"Having spent most of my childhood in Southeast Asia I love being surrounded by objects which remind me of a culture that made a huge impact on my young life... I enjoy continuing to learn more about East Asian culture and artefacts, whether that is within our own museum from fellow volunteers or staff or from visits to other museums."
Cindy, Gallery Volunteer
Gallery Volunteers help promote a high-quality visitor experience in the Museum and galleries. You will provide an enthusiastic welcome to all visitors, be responsive to their needs and always ready to share information which enhances their visit. You will monitor objects on display and be conscious of general security and health and safety, reporting any issues or concerns to Museum staff.
- Greet and welcome visitors as they enter the galleries
- Be on hand to answer any questions that visitors may have
- If appropriate, offer visitors further information about the collection and exhibitions
- Inform visitors that Museum publications are available in the Museum Shop
- Promote relevant Museum events, talk and workshops
- Monitor objects on display, collection care devices like insect traps and humidity controls, and report any observations or issues to your supervisor
- Be vigilant about Museum security and report any suspicious or inappropriate behaviour to Museum staff
- Check the gallery is in a clean, safe and tidy condition and report any health and safety issues to your supervisor
- Direct any further visitor enquiries to the Front Desk
- Log your gallery shift hours on the Volunteer Portal
- Attend volunteer training sessions and exhibition briefings
We are looking for volunteers who are...
Friendly, enjoy meeting new people and have an interest in the arts or East Asian culture. You are confident communicating with visitors of all ages and backgrounds, want to help promote the Museum’s activities and are passionate about providing excellent visitor experience. You enjoy interacting and engaging with visitors and connecting with them through the collection and exhibitions. You won’t mind that sometimes it will be quieter than other times and are able to both work as part of a team or own your own.
Why you might enjoy this role...
You will gain insight into the workings of a small museum, develop your visitor service skills through engaging with the public and deepen your knowledge of East Asian art and culture through the collection. You will also be able to volunteer at other Museum events and workshops, and attend learning opportunities such as exhibition briefings and Volunteer Sharing Sessions. As a volunteer you will benefit from free entry to the Museum, 10% discount in the Shop, discounted entry to workshops and events, social volunteer events and more.
How to get involved
This role is open to individuals aged 18 years or over. You can register your interest with the Volunteer Coordinator or apply online. Prior to joining the team, applicants are invited for an informal chat and attend an induction session with the Volunteer Coordinator. Your first shift is spent shadowing an experienced volunteer and you will be given role-specific training and relevant opportunities to learn about the Museum, collection and visitor experience. Gallery Volunteers are supervised by the Membership and Volunteer Coordinator, who is there to support you and deal with any questions or concerns.
Availability and schedule
Volunteer shifts are generally 2-3 hours long and available during opening hours (Tuesday to Friday 11 – 16:30 and Saturday 10 – 16:30). Volunteer shifts can be scheduled in pairs or alone, depending on volunteer needs and availability.