"I had just retired and looked for places to volunteer. I wasn’t going to volunteer straight away, but saw it and thought it was right up my street! The shop was suited to my skills because I just like meeting people, talking to people, being nice and helpful to people."
Sue, Front of House Volunteer
Front of House Volunteers provide a warm welcome to visitors, offer information about the Museum and ensure a high-quality visitor experience from the start to the end of their visit. Working on the front desk in the Museum Shop, you will provide excellent customer service, sell admission tickets and promote Museum products, as well as deal with any Front of House enquiries.
- Greet and welcome all visitors to the Museum
- Inform visitors about the Museum, temporary exhibitions and events programme
- Process all Museum ticket admission sales, with Gift Aid when needed
- Provide visitors with gallery guides and information about the Museum building
- Actively promote products on sale to customers and process sales through the till
- Answer the telephone, transfer calls to relevant staff and record any messages
- Handle all Front of House enquiries for the Museum and redirect any group trips, school enquiries, or event bookings through to your supervisor or staff member
- Promote and process Friends memberships, with Gift Aid when needed
- Keep the Museum shop and front desk area clean, safe and tidy
- Log your hours for Front of House shifts on the Volunteer Portal
- Attend volunteer training sessions and exhibition briefings when necessary
We are looking for volunteers who are...
Socially outgoing, passionate about people and want to help! You enjoy selling products in a retail setting, are confident dealing with the till and telephone and are excited to represent the Museum through your positive approach. You may have an interest in the arts or East Asian culture, want to gain work experience, or perhaps you are new to Bath and want to meet new people. You won’t mind that sometimes it will be quieter than other times and are able to use your initiative when on your own.
Why you might enjoy this role...
You will gain insight into the workings of a small museum, develop your visitor service skills through engaging with the public and learn new skills. You will also be able to volunteer at other Museum events and workshops, and attend learning opportunities such as exhibition briefings and Volunteer Sharing Sessions. As a volunteer you will benefit from free entry to the Museum, 10% discount in the Shop, discounted entry to workshops and events, social volunteer events and more!
How to get involved
This role is open to individuals aged 18 years or over. You can register your interest with the Volunteer Coordinator or apply online. Prior to joining the team, applicants are invited for an informal chat and will be provided with two induction sessions and training by the Volunteer Coordinator and Retail & Front of House Manager. Although Front of House is one of the more comprehensive roles, volunteers are not expected to learn everything straight away. Your first shift is spent shadowing an experienced volunteer and you can buddy up with another volunteer until you are confident to be at Front of House by yourself. You will also be given role-specific training and relevant opportunities to learn about the Museum, collection and visitor experience. Front of House Volunteers are supervised by the Retail & Front of House Manager, who is there to support you and deal with any questions or concerns.
Availability and schedule
Volunteer shifts are generally 2-3 hours long and available from Tuesday to Thursday between 11:00 – 16:30.