Role Tasks & Responsibilities
Working closely with other POW web team volunteers and staff to implement improvements to our digital infrastructure including a rebrand, the expansion of our POW Climate Pledge and a move onto a new JAMstack architecture.
Who we’re looking for
You should have a good understanding of industry trends, headless content management and ecommerce. Experience with UX, accessibility, responsive and adaptive design is essential. Also, an understanding of the entire modern web development process, including design, development, and deployment is preferred.
Mostly importantly you will have experience working on your own initiative, of taking ownership of a project or task as part of a team and a hunger to learn & share knowledge.
Obviously a personal commitment to the mission and values of Protect Our Winters and a drive to support others to take effective action is also really important.
- Designing and implementing new features and functionality on JAMstack
- Establishing and guiding the website’s architecture and technology choices
- Ensuring high-performance and availability along with the rest of the team
- Helping formulate an effective, responsive design and turning it into a working frontend
- Integrating ecommerce, membership and subscription APIs
- Pairing with other developers to share knowledge and ensure features are delivered to a high standard.
Skills and Qualifications
- Experience building user interfaces for websites and/or web applications
- Experience designing and developing responsive design websites
- Comfortable working with debugging tools like Firebug, Chrome inspector, etc.
- Ability to understand CSS changes and their ramifications to ensure consistent style across platforms and browsers
- Appreciation of A11Y Standards and coding to them
- Experience of JAMstack and React frameworks preferable
- Experience of Storybook and developing competent libraries
- Ability to convert comprehensive layout and wireframes into a working frontend
- Knowledge of how to interact with REST & GraphQL
- Proficient understanding of GIT
- Previous Wordpress (our legacy CMS) experience helpful
- Experience of TDD/BDD and modern testing frameworks a bonus
Technologies in New Architecture
Chromatic / Applitools / Checkly
Jest / Cypress / Jest / Pupeteer / Playwright
Headless CMS like Sanity.io
Snipcart / Shopify / Big Commerce
Stripe & Paypal
Vercel / Netlify / Heroku / Azure
Headless CMS / Wordpress / Github
MailChimp / eSputnik / Amazon SES
Agile / Lean / Lean UX
What you’ll get in return
- The ability to to work on some really cool technology and to hopefully learn more. Also to have a voice in our global digital strategy
- References and valuable experience within the third sector
- Support from a passionate team and access to POW events
- Access to POW UK volunteer discounts/perks
We have a big backlog some of which is pretty urgent, we have a great team but could really do with a little more experienced help. It's really up to you and what you are able to provide. We will work with you to prioritise the backlog in JIRA to fit your availability.
How to Apply
Sound like the role for you? Please complete the application on this form (click "fill in an application" on right hand side)
If your skills match what we need to succeed in the role, you’ll then be asked to complete a phone / zoom interview to find out more.
Thanks for your time and we hope to hear from you soon!