Zoom - Group Leader/Facilitator
Some Responsibilities May include:
- Teaches and leads others in assigned recreational activities in our offices and in the community.
- Meets and greets participants and assists them in finding program information.
- Supports others in learning new skills.
- Assists participants in connecting with other group members, modelling good social skills
- Reports any needs for program supplies or equipment to the Coordinator of Volunteers
- Assists in preparing recreation space for group activities
- Demonstrates ability to work with people with diverse backgrounds.
- Liaise with agency staff, external agencies, and clients
- Attend team meetings, supervision and training sessions as requested by the Coordinator of Volunteers.
- Reports weekly attendance to the Coordinator of Volunteers
- Represent SHOP in a professional manner.
- Serve as a mentor for others with mental illness as each person pursues his/her individual recovery journey.
- Advise the coordinator of volunteers immediately if you become aware that a participant is uncomfortable or seems to be in crisis. Volunteers are not to take on a professional counselling role.
- Identify physical safety risk factors and advise the Coordinator of Volunteers or other staff.
- Cooperate with the harmony and good functioning of the office.
- Exhibits enthusiasm, respect, adaptability, flexibility, and spirit of cooperation in the work environment
- Ensure understanding of limits and respect confidentiality
Requirements and qualifications:
- Knowledge and understanding of mental health and addiction problems
- Lived experience with mental health/addictions is an asset
- Experience in Consumer/Survivor run programs an asset
- Ability to communicate in English, a second language an asset
- Excellent communication skills
- Group facilitation/presentation skills an asset
- Ability to build trusting relationships with service users
- Problems solving skills
- Motivation to support disadvantaged or vulnerable people
- An understanding of equal opportunities
- An awareness of health & safety issues in the workplace
- As scheduled, flexibility is required.
- Availability approximately four hours per month.
- Commitment of a minimum of 4 months.