Horticulture Helpers - Mt. Airy Arboretum Perennial Gardeners
The horticulturist at Mt. Airy Arboretum is looking for an experienced perennial gardener to help maintain the many perennial beds throughout the arboretum. This volunteer will assist horticulture staff with weeding, planting, watering, pruning, edging, mulching, etc.
This opportunity is for volunteers seeking an on-going, consistent work schedule, for example - reporting to the garden every Tuesday from 8am - 10am. It can be any day Mon-Fri and any time between 7 am to 2:00 pm.
- be 18 years of age or older
- enjoy gardening
- feel comfortable with tasks that involve
- repeated kneeling, bending, squatting, and possibly lifting up to 20lbs
- working outside in the heat, cold, or around insects
- have knowledge of commonly used perennials
- be familiar with the proper use of hand tools such as shovels, trowels, garden hoe, and hand pruners
Volunteers should wear clothing that they can work comfortably in and that is weather appropriate. It is recommended that you bring a refillable water bottle and work gloves. Close- toed shoes are required.
This activity generally occurs on
- Tuesday Morning
- Wednesday Morning
- Thursday Morning