Conservation & Land Stewardship - Alms Park Allies - Community Work Days
|Alms Park Allies are volunteers dedicated to maintaining and improving the park in collaboration with Cincinnati Board of Parks. We are established 501c3 with the State of Ohio as Alms Park Advisory Council.|
Work with Parks Staff and members of the Alms Park Advisory Council (Alms Park Allies) in their efforts to improve the overall health of the park and support maintenance efforts. Projects will often include invasive species mitigation efforts as well as beautification efforts and grounds maintenance tasks.
2022 Community Work Days (all work days are 9am - 12pm, additional details TBD)
- January 17 - MLK Day of Service (cancelled)
- March 19 - **Reschedule date for cancelled event** - Invasive removal
- April 22 - Earth Day/Arbor Day Event
- Tree seedling planting
- June 4 - National Trails Day
- Trail clearance - invasive removal
- September 11 - National Day of Service & Remembrance
- Invasive plant removal
- September 24 - National Public Lands Day (NPLD)
- Invasive Plant Removal
- Saturday, October 22 - Make A difference Day
- Invasive removal
The removal of invasive species are part of ongoing efforts to restore our native forest understory. Volunteers will us handsaws and loppers to cut (Amur honeysuckle bushes) and may also be cutting porcelain Vine. Volunteers will also work behind chainsaw operators to drag cut honeysuckle to chipper or to lay on forest floor.
Non - native plants such as honeysuckle and porcelain vine grow aggressively in this climate and create real problems for our native ecosystem. These invasive plants choke out the natural growth of native plants that provide more for a healthy under story and more for local wildlife. There are also safety concerns, as these plants grow fast and thick, and obstruct sight-lines in public areas. Poison Ivy also grows in these parks, please be cautious and aware of your surroundings.
Volunteers should be prepared for the weather in clothing appropriate for the temperature, wear long pants and layers (long sleeves), close-toed shoes are required. Suggested: face covering, gloves & refillable water bottle - there will be water cooler on site for volunteers to fill a bottle. Cincinnati Parks discourages single - use plastics.
Parks will supply tools and equipment, if you prefer to use your own hand tool, please bring it!
In efforts to stop the spread, for the safety of our staff, volunteers and community please consider the following guidelines:
- Do not participate If you or someone in your home is symptomatic (e.g., fever, cough, shortness of breath), or if someone you’ve come into close contact with is under investigation or diagnosed with a laboratory-confirmed case of COVID-19.
- For more details or questions feel free to contact Christyl @ firstname.lastname@example.org text or call 513.240.5735
This activity has the following schedule
|Date||Start Time||End Time|
|Saturday, June 04, 2022||9:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Sunday, September 11, 2022||9:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Saturday, September 24, 2022||9:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Saturday, October 22, 2022||9:00 AM||12:00 PM|