Current Volunteer Opportunities - Serving the evening Community Dinner
Every evening at 5:00 pm, The Salvation Army Galveston County serves a meal to anyone in the community who wants one. Two volunteers are needed each day to assist with this task.
NOTE: You must have a volunteer profile on file and have confirmation of clearance to volunteer from the Volunteer Coordinator. To participate in this activity, you must register for your time slot through this database to serve unless you have express instructions from the Volunteer Coordinator or the Corps Officer to come. Walk-ins are never appropriate for volunteering at The Salvation Army.
Arrival time is at 4:30. You enter the Center of Hope through the shelter entrance at the west side of the building. There is ample parking in the parking lot on the east side of the building by the Connection Center. You check in with staff at the intake booth to the right. There should be a sign-in sheet for you in the intake booth or on the table in front of the intake booth. Please be sure to sign in AND out on that sheet.
You will be directed to the kitchen to assist with preparing the meals. Plates are created upon each guests arrival. Distribution starts at 5:00 pm sharp.
Volunteers need to ensure that recipients sign a log-sheet and that they only take one meal. Volunteers ensure that there is hand sanitizer available. Volunteers must wear masks, gloves, closed-toed shoes and a hat or hairnet.
After all are served, volunteers help with clean-up and trash pick-up. Service is typically complete by 5:30 pm.
Important points to remember:
1. Distribution starts at 5:00 pm sharp- not early
2. Anyone taking a meal must sign the log sheet. It doesn't matter if they sign their real name or not, but they need to be the one to sign it. Under no circumstances should you sign for anyone.
3. Anyone getting a meal must be present unless arrangements have been made in advance through Social Services in which case the person requesting the extra meal will have some sort of written verification from the office.
4. You do not give out seconds, no matter what the person requesting tells you. Many people think the food is wasted if it is not given out, but that is not the case. There are other things going on inside that guests and volunteers do not know about.
5. Distribution ends at 5:30. You can finish handing out to anyone in line, but you do not wait longer than 5:30 to see if anyone else shows up.
6.Help with the clean-up as directed by staff.
Thank you for serving!
The next 10 shifts (out of 99 total shifts) for this activity are as follows
|Date||Start Time||End Time|
|Tuesday, January 31, 2023||4:30 PM||5:30 PM|
|Wednesday, February 01, 2023||4:30 PM||5:30 PM|
|Thursday, February 02, 2023||4:30 PM||5:30 PM|
|Friday, February 03, 2023||4:30 PM||5:30 PM|
|Saturday, February 04, 2023||4:30 PM||5:30 PM|
|Sunday, February 05, 2023||4:30 PM||5:30 PM|
|Monday, February 06, 2023||4:30 PM||5:30 PM|
|Tuesday, February 07, 2023||4:30 PM||5:30 PM|
|Wednesday, February 08, 2023||4:30 PM||5:30 PM|
|Thursday, February 09, 2023||4:30 PM||5:30 PM|