Assistance for seniors and vulnerable community members - WE Drivers
Follow public COVID-19 measures: Please always practice proper handwashing and wear a mask using the proper technique in certain medical locations and in private homes. If you or someone in your household is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, stay home AND inform the Volunteer Coordinator as soon as possible.
Drive clients to essential appointments (as requested by a health professional), accompany them inside if required (due to a physical or cognitive disability), and then take them home after.
- Ask for your Volunteer Kit if this is your first WE Drivers mission.
- Call the client within 48 hours of getting the confirmation to introduce yourself, review the details of the appointment, and arrange the pick-up time.
- Call the client again on the day of the appointment to remind them and to ask them to be waiting for you outside, if possible.
- Arrive at the client's home at the arranged time.
- Greet the client with your mask on. If they do not have a mask, offer them one from your kit.
- Help them get in and out of your vehicle as needed.
- Improve the air circulation during the drive by opening the window a bit if the weather permits, and set your system to fresh air mode. Look for the curved arrow on the car's controls. If the light is off, it shows that fresh air is coming into your car from the outside, instead of on recirculation mode.
- Accompany the client into the building, stay in the waiting room, and then drive them home afterwards.
- Respect the client's privacy! Do not discuss any confidential information that you may learn with anyone other than a staff member. You must securely destroy any confidential client information following the assignment, including all email correspondence.
- Ask to be reimbursed for your mileage, starting from your home, to the client's place of residence, to the appointment, and back. AFTER you have accumulated at least $25 of expenses, please complete and sign the WE Volunteer Driver’s Expense Form and email it to the Volunteer Coordinator. We will reimburse you at a rate of .545 cents per kilometer, mailing a cheque to your home within three weeks.
- Car insurance is your responsibility. It is your duty to report the nature of your volunteer job to your insurance company.
- The client is responsible for paying for the parking during their visit.
- Translating medical information is NOT part of your volunteer responsibilities. This is the responsibility of the health care professional or the institution providing services to the client.
- If a last-minute emergency (less than 24 hours), including illness, makes it impossible for you to drive, you must contact the client and their intervenor directly as soon as possible, and also inform the volunteer coordinator.
- It is important to be prepared and to follow instructions for your safety and that of the person receiving your help.
- Not familiar with techniques to help someone with limited mobility move around? Check out our online e-learning module.
- Do you have a valid driver's licence? / Avez vous un permi de conduire valide ? Must be Yes / oui
- What is your fluency in English / Quelle est votre maîtrise de la langue anglaise Must be at least Conversational / conversationnel