VOLUNTEER OPENINGS - BoD: VP of Operations/President-Elect (Candidate for the 2021 Board of Director)
To serve in the triple role as a member of the Board of Directors, as Vice President of Operations of the management of the Chapter, and as the President-Elect of the Chapter.
2020 Bylaws Description
- Is responsible for oversight of all operational functions for the Chapter.
- Is responsible for submission of PDUs for each event to PMI.
- Acts as the President’s backup when the President is unavailable.
- Does not automatically become President after his or her term unless or until voted into the role.
Must have served in a Board position for a minimum of one (1) full year prior to the election in which that person is a candidate for Vice President of Operations/President-Elect
As a Member of the Board of Directors:
- Perform and uphold duties as specified by the PMI-LA Chapter Bylaws.
- Serve as presiding officer at Board meetings in the absence of the President.
- As a board member, has joint fiduciary responsibility to ensure that the Chapter is maintained as a “going concern”, and that all legal and financial filing and reporting requirements are completed on a timely basis.
- In the absence of the President, may review and sign all contracts which have been approved by the Board of Directors as noted within the minutes after ROI and fiduciary sustainability analysis is performed.
- As President-Elect, prepare to assume the responsibilities and accountabilities of the President in their roles as Chairperson of the Board of Directors.
As Vice-President of Operations/President-Elect:
- Collaborate and Report to the President and Board of Directors in their role as Vice President of Operations/President-Elect.
- Takes direction from the President and Board of Directors in their role as Vice President of Operations/President-Elect.
- Perform and uphold all duties as specified by the PMI-LA Chapter Bylaws.
- Perform and uphold all policies as specified by the PMI-LA Board of Directors.
- Perform and uphold all management policies as specified by the President and agreed to by the Board in their role as Vice President of Operations/President-Elect.
- As President-Elect, prepare to assume the responsibilities and accountabilities of the President in their role as Chief Executive Officer.
- Serve as presiding officer at Chapter meetings and events in the absence of the President.
- May delegate duties and execution responsibilities, but not accountability, to other members of the management team, as appropriate.
- Takes initiative to promote coordination of core and extended service offerings across functional areas.
- Lead the implementation and maintenance of the next term annual plan, holding meetings throughout the year to validate adherence and alignment of current activities with the Chapter’s and PMI Global’ s strategic plans.
- Leads the update/maintenance of the Chapter Operations & Procedures Manual. The Manual should be updated throughout the year and reviewed by the Board annually, and all updates voted on and approved by the Board by October to ensure smooth transition to the incoming Board of Directors.
- Review, maintain, and rehearse PMI-LA Disaster Recovery Plan.
- Manage the organization of a minimum of 2 Annual Planning and Strategic Alignment sessions.
- Set the Guidelines in order to organize the travel to the Region 7 meeting and the North America LIM as set forth in the chapter policies.
- Assist in mentoring current Board of Directors and/or volunteering in Chapter areas, as discussed and/or agreed to by the President.
- Responsible for reaching out to all Past-Presidents (not just Trustees) for submitting Trustee application for incoming year.
- Responsible for selecting and presenting gift to Outgoing President at the End of Year Volunteer Appreciation Event.
- Maintain governance documents in order to guide members of the Strategy and PMO team.
- Maintain documents and records on PMI-LA’s choice of document management system (e.g. SharePoint/O365) with publicly visible documents on the website either in Members Only or front-page access accordingly
- Develop and oversee leadership succession planning and ensure a smooth transition.
- Responsible for the production of a Tactical Plan that supports the Chapter Strategic Plan.
· Conference Attendance Policy
Strategic and business management skills
- Budget management skills
- Financial planning
- PMI knowledge and experience
- Resource management
- Parliamentary Procedures (i.e. Robert’s Rules of Order)
- Ability to delegate effectively
- Decision making
- Conflict resolution skills
- Facilitation skills for workshops
- Skilled in strategic planning and process execution
- Team building skills
Required for the role
- Must have served on the Board of Directors for at least one full, uninterrupted term in a Chapter functional board position prior to VP of Operations/President-Elect.
- 3-year commitment to the Chapter (President-Elect, President, Past President)
- Preferred to have served at least one full, uninterrupted term in a Chapter functional board position prior to VP of Operations/President-Elect.
- Should have organized and attended at least one Regional and/or Leadership Institute Meeting in the past three years.
- Any PMI certification, especially the PMP certification.
Governance documents knowledge requirement
- PMI Strategic Plan
- PMI-LA Chapter Bylaws
- PMI-LA Chapter Annual Plan
- PMI-LA Chapter Roles, Responsibilities, & Policies
- PMI Continuing Certification Requirements (CCR) Talent Triangle requirements and eligibility
Role Specific Security Access
- Bank Account Signatory Authority as Vice President of Operations/President-Elect to ensure continuity of finances thru an election period.
- Contract Signatory Authority as Chairperson of the Board of Directors when the President is not available
- PMI Chapter Reporting System or other comparable PMI system
- Financial System security access as determined appropriate to ensure “separation of duties” and internal controls
- Event management systems used by the Chapter (if different from the Chapter website) as determined appropriate to ensure separation of duties and internal controls
- Other Information systems security access as determined appropriate to ensure “separation of duties” and internal controls
- Officer-level access to all Chapter websites (front-end and back-end), including the Office 365 site