The RUH has created a volunteer housekeeper role to assist the current housekeepers working across the hospital. This role takes on some of the housekeeping duties and will allow the experienced housekeepers to focus on the patient areas and other key tasks.
The role of the volunteer housekeeper would consist of the following duties:-
- Keeping the Ward kitchen stocked and clean, dispose of out of date produce, washing up and sterilising cutlery and crockery, mopping the kitchen floor, and monitoring the Fridge temperature daily.
- Wearing PPE (gloves/ apron and mask) to clean ward equipment in-store /public areas using Clinell wipes i.e. drip stands/ telephones/ monitors/keyboards, any touchpoints surfaces.
- Collecting food trolley from the kitchen and setting up a trolley with utensils and crockery for mealtimes.
- Tidying and stocking up of essential equipment/ documentation
You will not be required to work in bays or in direct contact with any patients. Volunteers will be allocated to wards after their initial shifts and will generally stay working in the same ward.
To be able to book yourself to the role you will need to complete the following courses
- RUH Housekeeping 01
- RUH Housekeeping 02
These courses consist of a series of short videos to familiarise volunteers with tasks and equipment prior to starting the role.
These videos are available separately at RUH Training - Housekeeping videos
Support and further training will be given during the initial shifts and you will be working with the existing Housekeeping staff on the ward.
The available shifts will be
- 7:30 – 13:30 - supporting breakfast and lunch
- 11:30 – 15:30 – supporting lunch
- 11:30 – 19:30 – supporting lunch and dinner
- 14:00 – 21:00 – supporting afternoons, dinner, end of day tidy
- 16:00 – 19:00 – supporting dinner