The Salt Spring Island Public Library participates in a system called Interlibrary Loan (ILL), wherein libraries across BC share books. Every day, Salt Spring Library ships between 1 and 4 boxes of our books out to other BC libraries. The Mail Delivery volunteer is responsible for transporting Salt Spring Library’s ILL mail to the post office.
- In the late afternoon, between 2:30 – 3:45, come to the Library.
- Pick up the mail bin(s) from the cart beside the Book Sale cart.
- Double check that these are outgoing parcels.
- Transport the bin(s) to the post office.
- Leave the bins on the far left counter – a casual “this is the Library mail” nod to the post office staff is all the communication required.
- No need to pick up more bins at the post office – there are brought over by a postal worker in the morning.
- Strong back and ability to lift.
- Transportation (some days there are up to 4 bins, so walking to the post office is not always feasible).
- Approximately ten minutes per day – the Mail Delivery volunteer may perform the duty every day (Monday to Friday), or only on specifically agreed upon days.