Tech Help Desk
Reporting to the Librarian and Chief Librarian, the Tech Reference Desk Volunteer responds to patrons’ tech and reference questions in person, by email, and by phone.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide quality library service by responding to patrons’ inquiries about computer reservation/use, wifi, photocopier/printer, and building.
- Troubleshoot issues with computers, copier/printer, and self-check computers and computer reservation system and Sitka Evergreen.
- Book meeting rooms and program rooms for patrons using online system.
- Demonstrate familiarity with Library websites including use of online resources. Assist patrons with catalogue searches at OPAC computers when needed.
- Provide reference assistance for local referrals, web searches, and other inquiries.
- Help patrons search collection, using Dewey Decimal System and Sitka Evergreen.
- Ensure adherence to Library standards by following procedures, including opening and closing of the Library, responding to alarms and adherence to library restrictions [Library Operational Policies 3.6].
- Support operational and building safety as the designated leader in emergency situations according to the Library Emergency Response Plan.
- Contact Librarian in emergency situations, and if necessary, call 911. Follow up with Incident Report.
- Ensure that telephone and email inquiries are responded to in a timely manner, including registration for tech tutors, tech programs, and questions about databases including eBooks.
- Assist patrons with devices, including phones, tablets, and computers. When necessary refer to tech tutors and programs.
- Act as point person for volunteer queries, including accessing volunteer application form.
- Register participants in youth programs, including camps and summer reading club.
- Working knowledge of Library Policies and Procedures
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Familiarity and comfort level with computers
- Strong Communication skills
- Ability to work with a diverse group of patrons and volunteers