Food Pantry - Food Pantry Assistant
Be a part of serving the community in our food pantry by helping receive, prepare, and distribute food for our weekly food distribution.
The Food Pantry Assistant will help unload food trucks, transfer products to the kitchen, prepare bags of groceries, and carry finished boxes to main entrance for distribution.
On Mondays, volunteers will help receive products from delivery trucks and store items in the fridge. They will also help make 150 bags of groceries. On Wednesday, volunteers will finish packing remaining food such as meat, dairy, fruit, and vegetable in the boxes and carry boxes to main entrance for distribution. A metal cart can be used to transfer heavy boxes, but volunteers should be comfortable lifting 30+ pounds.
- 18 years or older
- Must enjoy working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Possess effective communication abilities
- Friendly personality and smile
- Must be able to comfortably lift 30 pounds
- Reliable, professional and friendly
- Pass initial screening process
- Bilingual abilities are a plus
- Bring and wear personal face mask
- Pass health screening including forehead temperature reading and brief questionnaire at start of shift.
Volunteers need to be willing to undergo a background check and initial screening process.
Alcohol, drugs and smoking are not permitted at any Salvation Army Facilities or volunteer sites
Pants and shirts must cover the waistband. Shirts with print are not to be offensive. Shoes are to be closed toe. We don’t want any injuries done to the toes. Flip flops, shorts, tank tops, undershirts, or halter tops, sleeveless shirts, crop tops, spaghetti straps and strapless tops are not permitted. Transparent, tight or form fitting clothes are not permitted. Please dress comfortably.
*Off Street Parking is available*
If this volunteer opportunity seems like a match for your experience, skills, and interests, please complete the online application by clicking the “Sign Up” button.
For additional questions please contact Dennise Hernandez at Dennise.Hernandez@usc.salvationarmy.org or 773-434-0488.
Thank you again for your interest in volunteering with The Salvation Army!
- Background Check
- What age category do you belong? Must be at least 14 or older