Stephenson Steam Railway - Operations Department - Duty Operations Manager
The Duty Operations Manager co-ordinates and oversees the day's activities at the railway. They give permission for trains to depart and manage all movements throughout the day. The DOM also deals with any and all incidents such as lineside fires, broken-down/failed trains and ill passengers.
Duty Operations Managers are usually volunteers who have spent several years at the railway which gives them the depth of knowledge required. The DOM must know the railway's operations like the back of their hand and be prepared to be the 'go-to person' should anything go wrong. The minimum age for a DOM is 18.
Volunteers are required to sit a theoretical exam paper and practical assessment from the railway's inspectorate before becoming qualified.
- Covid 19, return to, or starting to volunteering Must be eLearning covid19 response
- Equalities Data returned Must be Returned
- General induction Must be attended
- Photo Consent form signed Must be Yes
- Read Volunteer policy and volunteer agreement Must be yes
- Read Volunteers returning to Museums information Must be Completed