Volunteer Directly with Girls - STEM Center + MakerSpace Facilitator - Ongoing & Flexible (Modesto)
Calling all STEM professionals! Join us in encouraging girls to explore science, technology, engineering, and math by volunteering as a STEM Center + MakerSpace Facilitator. Leverage your STEM expertise by volunteering to lead workshops for girls ages 5-18 (already constructed by the Girl Scouts, or work with the Girl Scouts to build your own STEM or maker workshops).
The GSHCC STEM Center + MakerSpace South is a place where girls can incorporate scientific discovery in their lives. Activities will focus on three key aspects of STEM: Engineering, Programming, Agriculture, and Biology & Environmental Science. The center also includes a MakerSpace that encourages the use of design thinking and collaborative problem solving. Through a variety of cooperative learning opportunities and hands-on experimentation, girls will hone key STEM-related skills such as creativity, innovation, critical thinking and problem solving all while having fun and gaining confidence. Plus, they’ll learn about STEM careers and meet female STEM professionals while they’re at it.
- Skilled in engineering, programming or robotics
- Experience with making or tinkering
- Interested in supporting the process of learning
- Passionate about encouraging girls to explore STEM disciplines
- Experience working with children ages 5-18, helpful but not necessary
- Can lift a minimum of 5 pounds
- Punctual, dependable, enthusiastic, flexible and positive attitude
- Facilitate a hands-on learning experience for girls in grades K-12
- Collaborate with Girl Scouts and STEM Center Girl Task Force to produce curriculum and maintain relevant activities for today’s girl and adult learners
- Provide a safe space where participants can celebrate every attempt and project
- Collect feedback with evaluations
- Must be over 18 years old
- Pass a background check
- Attend GSHCC Volunteer Orientation
- Complete STEM Center + MakerSpace volunteer orientation
Girl Scouts Heart of Central California – STEM Center + MakerSpace, Modesto
Volunteer projects will be assigned to volunteers after completing a volunteer application and training. Personal schedules and time commitments will be determined between the volunteer and the STEM Initiatives Manager. Workshops are held at the STEM Center anytime between 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on weeknights and are varied for weekend programming. Workshops are 90 minutes in length, or longer, depending on the specific curriculum.
Volunteers must facilitate one workshop per quarter, for a minimum of one year.
- Background Check Must be at least I need to complete a background check
- GSHCC Volunteer Orientation Must be Completed
- STEM Center Training Must be Completed
- What age category are you? Must be Adult - 18 years of age or older