Relay For Life - Candlebag Decoration Area Role
VOLUNTEER ROLE DESCRIPTION
Role: Candlebag Decoration Area Role – Relay For Life
Reports to/Supported by: Community Events Coordinator
Direct Reports: None
Budget: No budget delegations
Purpose of Position
To assist in selling and preparing candlebags for the Candlelight Ceremony
Key Functions and Responsibilities
- Check in at information booth, and then with lead Candlelight Ceremony Volunteer.
- Wear Cancer Society Hi-Vis vest at all times
- Sell candlebags, for $5 each, taking cash or eftpos payments. Anyone can purchase candlebag, not just those who are part of a team.
- Art materials will be provided for those who wish to decorate on site.
- Decorating candlebags may be emotional for some. A Cancer Society counsellor should be nearby if anyone needs this service, otherwise radio Cancer Society staff and someone can come and assist.
- Once the bag has been decorated, thank the person, and advise that they can collect their bag before sunrise on Sunday morning. Any bags not collected will be cremated, and spread at the Relay memorial tree on the following World Cancer Day.
- Fill plastic container with sand, place candle in container, and then place this in the container ready for the set up team.
- Some people may drop off bags they have already decorated – add plastic container, sand and candle.
- Place bags in an orderly line, ready for Candlelight Ceremony set up volunteers to collect.
- Keep in contact with logistics team, security, and Cancer Society staff as necessary.
Participants in Candlelight Ceremony have adequate assistance and support during process, and bags are ready for ceremony.
- Good people skills and friendly nature
- Good communication and organisation skills
- Enthusiasm and commitment for Relay For Life, and for the Cancer Society
A short briefing pre-event, and commitment to at least a 2 hour shift at Relay For Life
Trentham Racecourse, with occasional meetings at the Cancer Society Wellington.
- Volunteering Team, Fundraising Events Team Lead and Community Events Coordinator are available for support and guidance.
- An Online orientation to the Cancer Society and a mini orientation to the role.
Respect for the confidentiality of Cancer Society of New Zealand information and intellectual property is essential. Breaching this is considered serious misconduct.