Toronto - Evergreen Brick Works - Event - Drop, Swap & Shop! - Add me to the Drop Swap and Shop Team (Orientation- September 26th, 2019)
Drop, Swap & Shop | October 6th, 2019
Application Deadline: September 26th, 2019
Start date/term of position: Varied, 4-hour shift
Yes, Drop Swap and Shop is back! | Sunday, October 6th 2019
Drop, Swap, & Shop is a bi-annual (Spring and Fall) event that challenges visitors to question their consumption and promote more sustainable purchasing choices.
For this event, Torontonians donate no-longer-needed items from their home on intake days to receive "Swap Tickets". On Sunday October 6th, they will have the opportunity to use their tickets to pick-up one-of-a-kind items at our "Swap Mall". By doing this, they are helping to contribute to the sharing economy, connecting with community, and reducing the amount of goods that end-up in a landfill. Sign up now to be the first to know about volunteer roles! At our last event, we received approximately 12,000 items to swap, of which over 75% were given a new home and the remaining items were donated to local charities.
This event aims to inspire Torontonians to:
- Clear out the clutter and donate no-longer-needed goods (clothes, housewares, sporting gear, electronics, etc.)
- Support the sharing economy by participating in our “Swap Mall”
- See the sharing economy in action
What you bring:
- You’re a team player
- You can spring into action as needed and can work independently without too much supervision
- A passion for sustainable fashion, recycling, and the sharing economy
- You have an outgoing personality and are comfortable talking to new people
When & where:
The event takes place on October 6th, 2019 from 10am to 4pm at Evergreen Brick Works (EBW), 550 Bayview Ave. Shift times vary with positions. Full details will be available online when you sign up for a role. Volunteers will be able to sign up for shifts on the day of the event, or to help support with donation intake shifts and event set-up! Here is a quick overview of the dates/times where you can help:
- Thursday, September 26th | 6PM - 8PM - *Mandatory* Orientation Session
- Friday, October 4th | 4PM - 7:30PM - Donation Intake
- Saturday, October 5th | - 9am – 4pm Donation Intake (two shifts)
- Sunday, October 6th | 7am to 12pm- Event Set-up
- Sunday, October 6th | 12 - 5PM - Event: Drop Swap and Shop!
Commitment: Volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of 1- 2 shifts, either on Sunday October 6th, or on the days leading up to the event (donation intake/set-up).
How we’ll support you: Volunteers are asked to attend an orientation at Evergreen Brick Works (550 Bayview Avenue) on Thursday September 26th from 6:00pm to 8:00pm to learn more about Evergreen, Drop Swap and Shop and how they can help out. Support will be provided from staff and other lead volunteers during shifts and throughout the event.
Perks: Volunteers will receive a swap ticket to claim your special treasure at the beginning of their shift. You’ll be part of a dynamic team of staff and volunteers working together to make this a super event. You can take pride in knowing that your support is helping to foster a culture of reducing, reusing, and recycling in Toronto.
Good to know: Evergreen runs a free shuttle bus from Broadview subway station, and the 28A Bayview South bus regularly stops at EBW on weekends. Volunteers can also cycle or walk to the Brick works. How to get here.
If this sounds like you: Click the "fill in an application" button on the upper right hand side of this page. Be sure to tell us a bit about yourself and any relevant experience you may have. Once you've completed this, return to this link and click the "+ sign up" button at the bottom to join us for the orientation on October 1st. Following the orientation, you will be able to sign up for your preferred roles and shifts.
Already an Evergreen Volunteer? Login to your profile, click on the “Opportunities” tab and sign up to join the Drop, Swap & Shop team!
- Are you in either of these age ranges? Some volunteer roles are restricted based on age. Must be at least 15 or older with parental/guardian approval
- English language skills Must be at least Intermediate
- In which region would you like to volunteer? Must be Greater Toronto Area
This activity has the following schedule
|Date||Start Time||End Time|
|Thursday, September 26, 2019||6:00 PM||8:00 PM|