Toronto - Evergreen Brick Works - Urban Ecology and Agriculture - Compost Crew
Join our new team of volunteers that are helping to support Evergreen Brick Work’s mission to advance our waste management initiatives year round!
Volunteers on the Compost Crew will be able to support a variety of composting projects including vermicomposting, compost systems maintenance, and as educators and ambassadors in various programs to engage with the public.
What you bring:
- You’re passionate about composting, urban agriculture and waste management, or interested in learning more.
- You're concerned about soil depletion and keen to help grow healthy soil.
- You feel comfortable working with food scraps and literally getting your hands dirty.
- You work well both independently and within a group.
- Having an interest in public engagement, compost systems maintenance, and/or education is an asset.
When and where: Evergreen Brick Works is located at 550 Bayview Ave in Toronto's Don Valley. Our Compost Crew is comprised of a few different roles that take place across the Brick Works site. As a member of this team, volunteers will be able to sign up for various shifts including:
- Vermicomposting: Our resident vermicomposting/Worm Wranglers group meets in Building 1 (the Burrow). Shifts are usually scheduled on Monday mornings from 10 AM-12 PM.
- Compost Care: In this role, volunteers will help care for and maintain our compost systems through collecting organics across the site, sorting, turning, and monitoring the compost. Shifts will take place on Mondays from 10 AM – 12 PM, and certain weeks during Garden Circle (Wednesdays from 9 AM- 12 PM and Thursdays from 6 PM- 8 PM).
- Education and Outreach: In this role, volunteers engage with the public, educate visitors, and work with programs at Evergreen Brick Works to incorporate compost efforts. Outreach shifts will be scheduled for Wednesday evenings (Summer Wednesdays), Saturday and Sundays (Public Markets) and on weekdays throughout Adventure Camp July 3- August 31.
*Volunteers are expected to commit to at least 2 shifts per month from now to September.*
How we’ll support you: Volunteers are asked to attend an orientation at Evergreen Brick Works on May 29th from 6-8 PM. All volunteers will receive an Evergreen orientation package. Support will be provided from staff and other lead volunteers each and every shift. You will also receive continued support from our program lead via emails and on-site meetings.
Perks: Take home high quality compost! Volunteers are welcome feed their house plants with the fresh, high quality compost that they help to grow as well as feed their minds by learning a variety of worm composting techniques. Receive an Evergreen Volunteer T-shirt after 20 volunteer hours.
Good to know: Free shuttle bus transportation is available from Broadview station to Evergreen Brick Works - there is also paid personal vehicle parking on-site. If you require any accommodation please let us know.
If this sounds like you: Click on the "fill in an application" button on the upper right hand corner. Make sure you share with us what excites you about this role and what experience you might bring. Once you've completed your profile, return to this page and click on the "+Sign Up" button at the bottom to join us on May 29th from 6-8 PM at Evergreen Brick Works .
Already a volunteer? Login to your profile (www.myvolunteerpage.com) and +Sign Up under the opportunities tab!
- Are you in either of these age ranges? Some volunteer roles are restricted based on age. Must be at least 15 or older with parental/guardian approval
- English language skills Must be at least Intermediate
- In which region would you like to volunteer? Must be Greater Toronto Area