Toronto - Evergreen Brick Works - Event - Summer Wednesdays - Summer Wednesdays Volunteer Team | Application and Orientation (June 26th)
Summer is a special time to visit the Brick Works, and each Wednesday evening from July 3rd to August 28th, Evergreen is hosting its 7th annual Summer Wednesday’s program to inspire visitors to eat, shop, play, and get outside. This Summer, visitors can expect a series of amazing cultural performances, collaborations in the Bake Oven with Chef Brad Long and guests from across Ontario through our FeastON partnership, cider sampling in the Brickworks Cider House Garden, and a rotation of award winning breweries and Cideries at our Sipping Container.
Volunteers will play a range of roles in making each Summer Wednesdays run smoothly! Some of the key areas volunteers will be supporting include:
- Leads – Working closely with Evergreen staff, Summer Wednesdays Leads will provide logistical support, help with way-finding, feedback and evaluation, and fill in any gaps. Leads will also be the secondary point of contact if there are any questions or concerns, and support other volunteers.
- Greeters/Ticket Hosts - Stationed at the Welcome Booth, volunteers in this role will engage with visitors, share the stories behind the food and program, promote that evening’s menu and featured chef, receive payment and hand out tickets, manage line ups, and answer questions.
- Waste-Free Crew - We want Summer Wednesdays to be a waste- free program. Volunteers will help visitors sort their waste and encourage them to wash their reusable plates. They will also ensure dishes are sterilized and returned to the entrance. Organics collected each Wednesday will help support our onsite compost systems. This role is essential to ensuring this "waste-free" initiative is a success!
- Dishwashers - As the oven prepares food throughout the evening, volunteers will help ensure that dishes are being washed to continue to prepare and serve food. Volunteers are encouraged to sign up for at least one half-shift in this role throughout the summer.
What you bring:
- You’re a team player
- You are flexible and are comfortable filling in gaps when needed
- You have strong communication skills and enjoy engaging with the public
- You enjoy being outdoors and have a love for the community
- Experience with food handling, customer service, or events management is an asset
When: Wednesday evenings from July 3rd to August 28th, from 5:30pm-9:00pm, an orientation will be held on June 26th from 6:00-8:00pm at Evergreen Brick Works.
Where: Children’s Garden and the Pavilions at Evergreen Brick Works (550 Bayview Avenue). This program takes place outdoors, so volunteers are encouraged to dress appropriately for the weather.
Commitment: We are asking volunteers to commit to at least 4 shifts over this 9-week program.
How we’ll support you: Volunteers will attend a mandatory orientation/training session on the evening of Wednesday June 26th, 2019 from 6pm-8pm at Evergreen Brick Works, as well as continued support from Evergreen staff each Wednesday night! At this orientation you’ll have a chance to check out the Children’s Garden and meet the team.
Good to know: Evergreen runs a free shuttle bus to Evergreen Brick Works and is extended to 10:00pm on Wednesday evenings. The 28 Bayview South TTC bus also leaves frequently from Davisville Station well past midnight, if you’re looking to kick back and enjoy the Pavilions after your shift!
Perks: Surround yourself with amazing people, delicious food and watch the sun set on the city while taking in the beauty of Evergreen Brick Works. Volunteers contributing 20+ hours will also receive an Evergreen T-shirt, 15% discount on Evergreen Garden Market, and access to the Toronto Attractions Council Reciprocal Program. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-596-1495 ext. 331 if you have any questions.
If this sounds like you: Click the “Fill in an application” button on the top right-hand corner of the posting. Please share with us why you are interested in joining this team! Once you’ve created your profile, click the “+ sign up” button to join us for the orientation on June 26th! Deadline to apply to this role is June 25th!
Already an Evergreen volunteer? Login to your profile (www.myvolunteerpage.com) and search for this role in the opportunities tab. Click on the role, and apply or sign-up for shifts at the bottom of the page!
- Are you in either of these age ranges? Some volunteer roles are restricted based on age. Must be at least 15 or older with parental/guardian approval
- English language skills Must be at least Intermediate
- In which region would you like to volunteer? Must be Greater Toronto Area