Toronto - Evergreen Brick Works - Winter Village - Add me to the Winter Village 2019 Team (Orientation Nov. 19th)
Winter Village is back for another holiday season!
Winter Village is a site-wide program at Evergreen Brick Works (550 Bayview Avenue) that aspires to get Torontonians to spend quality time together, stay active, eat delicious food, and get into the spirit of winter! This year, our Winter Village will feature a Holiday Makers Market, a board game lounge, fire pit stations to make S’mores, as well as food trucks and winter games in Koerner Gardens and our Kilns Building/Future Cities Centre. We’re looking for lots of hands to volunteer during this fun and festive season!
There are many different ways you can get involved to make Winter Village a success. Here are a few of the main tasks you can help support:
- Greeting visitors and helping them navigate the site
- Fire pit tending & supporting kids crafting activities
- Selling S'mores kits and helping visitors make them
- Eco-conscious gift wrapping
- Activating the Holiday Makers Market and games lounge
- Conducting market research (surveying, visitor feedback, etc.)
- Support market set-up/take-down
What you bring to the Winter Village Team:
- You love fun and have an appreciation for the Winter season - even when it's chilly
- You have a natural love of and confidence in engaging with new people
- You are comfortable providing information and giving directions
- You are comfortable working independently and as a team player
- Some roles require volunteers to become fire trained
- Some roles require volunteers to lift and move up to 25lbs
When and where: Volunteers are asked to join us for the Winter Village orientation on November 19th from 6-8pm at Evergreen Brick Works (550 Bayview Avenue). For those interested, Fire Building training will take place following the orientation from 8pm-8:30pm.
Winter Village schedule: Each Saturday and Sunday throughout December at the Brick Works (550 Bayview Avenue), and throughout the week between Christmas and the New Year.
- November 30
- Dec 1, 7, 8, 14, 15, 21 & 22
- And the week of December 26th- December 31
Commitment expectations: We would like volunteers to commit to a Saturday or Sunday shift each weekend in December, and then at least 1 shift between December 26th and December 31st, totaling 4 or 5 shifts throughout the month. We understand that this is a busy time for folks, and can try to make accommodations to suit your availability!
Good to know: Some of the Winter Village roles take place indoors, while others are based outside near the skating rink. We want to ensure that volunteers are comfortable and can take breaks when needed. We encourage volunteers to dress warmly for their roles and to wear lots of layers!
How we'll support you: You will attend an orientation on Tuesday, November 19th from 6:00pm - 8:30pm at Evergreen Brick Works (550 Bayview Avenue). Fire Wizard training will take place from 8:00pm-8:45pm. Captains will be expected to attend a special training session prior to their first shift. Experienced volunteers and staff will also support you throughout each volunteer shift.
How to Get Here: Evergreen runs a free shuttle bus from Broadview Subway station with unlisted early-morning trips for staff and volunteers on Saturday mornings. There is also the 28A Bayview South bus which runs 7 days a week from Davisville subway station. There is limited paid parking on-site, but note that all guests, staff, vendors and volunteers must pay for parking. (Proceeds raised from parking help Evergreen deliver accessible and inclusive educational programs.)
Perks: You’ll get to meet other great volunteers, support our community market vendors and local artisans. This is a unique experience where you will help to build an exciting community program together with staff. You can look forward to snacks and when you’ve contributed over 20 hours, there are special perks including an Evergreen T-shirt, and access to the Toronto Attractions Council Reciprocal Program.
If this sounds like you: Sign up below to join us at the orientation on Tuesday, November 19th! Be sure to tell us a little bit about yourself and why you think you’ll be a great addition to our team!
Contact: If you have any questions about the Winter Village roles, please email email@example.com
- Are you in either of these age ranges? Some volunteer roles are restricted based on age. Must be at least Volunteers 14 and under will volunteer with parent/guardian
- English language skills Must be at least Basic
- In which region would you like to volunteer? Must be Greater Toronto Area