At AMES Australia, the role of volunteering in supporting and strengthening newly arrived communities is not only important, but essential.
What do AMES Australia volunteers do?
You will work alongside our newly arrived refugee and migrant clients and our committed and passionate staff, joining over 500 AMES Australia volunteers. Over half of our volunteers have first-hand experience of settlement or learning a new language.
As the needs of our new communities change, the range of opportunities for our volunteers is growing. Volunteers are there every step of the way. They help clients with initial settlement and language tutoring, they mentor skilled migrants and supervise vocational activities and they help at the Multicultural Hub, assisting with events and front of house.
While most of our volunteers fall in to three main groups, there are always other short-term programs available and you should discuss your skills and interests with one of our Volunteer Coordinators.
Regardless of the skills or strengths you bring with you, you can make a world of difference in the settlement journeys of our clients.
What are the benefits of being a volunteer?
Volunteer Roles at AMES Australia:
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Multicultural Hub Volunteer
Are you looking for local work experience? The Multicultural Hub Volunteer placement has been designed to provide new migrants and refugees with an opportunity to participate in the Australian workforce through the delivery of a range of customer service/reception duties to support both staff and community groups at the Hub
Tasks may include:
• Support in a busy switchboard and reception area
• Client follow up over phone or by email
• Assisting visitors with enquiries both over the phone and face to face
• Assist with room bookings and complete relevant paperwork
• General administrative work as required including scanning, archiving, filing, cleaning, creating correspondence, record maintenance
• Assist to regularly maintain appropriate information and brochures in the reception area
• Assist Hub users with induction, orientation and general support
• Other duties as requested by the Volunteer Supervisor
Location: 506 Elizabeth St Melbourne VIC 3000
Phone: 13 2637 Option 4 Volunteering
Full participation for all in a cohesive and diverse society