Park Spark - Adopt-a-Trail - Trail Assignments
Title: Adopt-A-Trail Program - Trail Steward
Objective: To preserve and protect our natural environment by keeping Coquitlam walking trails clean, green and safe
- 18 years of age or older, otherwise accompanied by an adult
- Ability to work outdoors
- Physically able to perform the required tasks
- Excellent communication skills
- Be reliable, responsible and safety conscious
- Successfully complete the Adopt-A-Trail volunteer application process
- Designate a group contact person (group leader). The contact person is responsible for submitting all required documentation (forms, activity logs) and serves as the liaison with the City
- Visit assigned trail once a week from April to October and once a month from November to March
- Clear litter/garbage and debris from trail surface
- Leave garbage in the nearest park can (if you must leave garbage outside the can, please report it to the Program Coordinator immediately)
- Remove all branches and large rocks off the trail
- Report all hazards – erosions, sink holes, missing or damaged signs, dangerous / fallen trees, damaged bridges, rest benches and park equipment, and sharp objects such as broken glass or needles
- Report vandalism and any dumping activity
- Report any unusual or suspicious events on the trail
- Complete and submit an activity log after each trail visit and report any hazards/activities as outlined above
- Follow all safety standards
- Model appropriate behaviour and positively represent the City of Coquitlam
Training and Support: The City will provide training on safe litter pickup, safe work procedures for dealing with sharps and hazardous waste, storm awareness and dealing with wildlife.
Direct support is provided by the Program Coordinator, email@example.com, 604-927-6926
Supervisor- Jennifer Urbaniak, 778-788-4436, firstname.lastname@example.org
Supplies: Volunteers are supplied with gloves, litter pickers, garbage bags, vests, and flagging tape. More supplies may be obtained by emailing the Program Coordinator at email@example.com.
Time Commitment: Trail stewardship is yearly, with renewals occurring in March. You may request to move to a different trail or resign from the program by contacting the Program Coordinator.
Visit the assigned trail once a week from April to October and once a month from November to March during your adoption period.
Location: Agreed upon, maintained trail in the City of Coquitlam.
Recognition: Volunteers are recognized by a sign at their section of trail. Volunteers will also receive recognition at our annual Environmental Achievement Awards Celebration.
- Age Category Must be at least 18 or older
- Police Information Check Must be at least Passed