The steps that need to be passed are as follows;
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must possess a current Open Water Dive certification or higher from an internationally recognized certifying agency (we will need to make copies of original for our files)
- Must have 20 or more logged dives.
- Must have current First Aid, CPR/AED, and Oxygen Provider certifications.
- Must pass the swim and dive evaluation.
- Once pass the swim evaluation will interview with DSO
- Must pass a dive physical (volunteers expense)
- Must pass dive orientation
- Must be able to lift 50lbs and exit exhibits (with no ladder) unassisted in scuba gear.
Below are the steps in which must be taken to become a volunteer diver;
- Must attend a pre-screen orientation (see 'opportunities' tab in your volunteer profile once the application is complete.
- Interview with Volunteer Coordinator
- Swim evaluation (see below)
- Interview with DSO
- Reference check
- Dive physical (volunteers expense)
- Back ground check
- Drug screen
- Dive Orientation
The Swim Evaluation…You will be able to:
· Swim 25 yards underwater on a single breath
· Swim 400 yards continuously in 12 minutes or less
· Tow another swimmer 25 yards, no time limit
· Tread water for 10 minutes with the last 3 minutes hands out of the water