Location: Taunton, Somerset, England
Are you a regular churchgoer?
Would you like to accompany a person we support to attend church on a Sunday morning?
A lovely lady we support is looking for a friendly volunteer companion to attend St Peter’s Church with in Priorswood, perhaps also having a cuppa together before heading back home!
The lady we support is Catholic but you do not necessarily have to be a person of faith, just an open person looking to make a positive contribution to the life of the person we support.
Ideally, the volunteer would be able to pick up/drop off the lady we support from her home in Staplegrove but this is not essential.
Activities will include:
- Going to church with your buddy on a Sunday morning (10-11.30am)
- Taking part in church activities like singing
- Having a cup of tea and a chat together after the service
Activities will NOT include: Personal care, medication or financial assistance.
We are looking for volunteers who are:
- Friendly, chatty and a good listener
- Perhaps is a Catholic to share this belief with our lady but this is not essential
- Reliable/dependable and willing to commit to volunteer regularly ( eg every Sunday or twice a month for example)
- Desired but not essential: A driver aged 21 or over, with at least 2 years driving experience, and holds a full, clean and current UK Driving License (or equivalent)
A DBS check and two character references will be required for this role.
How Discovery is managing Covid-19:
We confirm we have complied with the government guidance on managing the risk of COVID-19.
We would like to assure applicants and new starters that Discovery is taking all possible steps to minimise risks to volunteers and colleagues during the coronavirus pandemic.
Our CEO Rachael Dodgson has written this open letter to detail more about how we are achieving this.
What you’ll gain from being a Discovery volunteer:
Discovery supports people with learning disabilities and autism, helping them to live more independently at home and in the community.
Our volunteers play a vital role in our work and in return, we support them with:
- Access to free online training (with access to 800 plus courses)
- Free membership to an online shopping discount scheme
- Comprehensive support from professional, friendly and trained Discovery staff
- Reasonable expenses may be reimbursed at the manager's discretion
- An opportunity to gain real experience in the social care sector
Want to apply for this role?
If you’d like to be a Discovery volunteer, we’d love to hear from you!