Location: Castle Cary, Somerset, England
Would you like to make a new friend in Castle Cary?
A lady we support would love a buddy to spend time with and share her interests.
“C” is affectionate, happy and has a lovely fun personality:
“I enjoy lots of activities, like having my nails painted, watching DVDs (Mary Poppins and Paddington are my favourites!), listening to music, doing puzzles, relaxing with coffee and cake, plus so much more!”
“C” is registered blind and will be moving to a registered home in Castle Cary. She is looking for the friendship of a lovely volunteer, who would like to give their time and help her to settle into her new home.
Activities will include:
- Visiting your buddy and building a new friendship together
- Enjoying time by relaxing with a cup of coffee and cake, or enjoying one of the many activities “C” loves.
- Providing chat, company, friendship and fun
- Providing support and stability for “C” to settle into her new home in Castle Cary
Activities will NOT include: Personal care, medication or financial assistance.
We are looking for a volunteer who is:
- Friendly, sociable and enthusiastic
- Happy to chat about shared interests
- Comfortable chatting with people with learning disabilities and autism.
- Reliable/dependable and willing to commit to volunteer regularly (exact times/days can be discussed)
A DBS check and two character references will be required for this role.
How Discovery is managing Covid-19:
We confirm we have complied with the government guidance on managing the risk of COVID-19.
We would like to assure applicants and new starters that Discovery is taking all possible steps to minimise risks to volunteers and colleagues during the coronavirus pandemic.
Our CEO Rachael Dodgson has written this open letter to detail more about how we are achieving this.
What you’ll gain from being a Discovery volunteer:
Discovery supports people with learning disabilities and autism, helping them to live more independently at home and in the community.
Our volunteers play a vital role in our work and in return, we support them with:
- Access to free online training (with access to 800 plus courses)
- Free membership to an online shopping discount scheme
- Comprehensive support from professional, friendly and trained Discovery staff
- Reasonable expenses may be reimbursed at the manager's discretion
- An opportunity to gain real experience in the social care sector
Want to apply for this role?
If you’d like to be a Discovery volunteer, we’d love to hear from you!