Would you like to make a real difference to someone's life?
Glenda loves her drumming class on a Friday and would like a friendly volunteer driver to help her get to and from her class!
You can either use your own car or drive one of the people we support's vehicle, a Seat Alhambra. Please note that Glenda has a wheelchair which would need to be transported too
Activities will include:
- Driving Glenda (and potentially others) to and from the drumming class (Fridays, 10.30am - 12pm)
- Driving from Glastonbury to Burnham-on-Sea, and back
- Ensuring passengers are safely secured in the car
- Chatting and being friendly
- Activities will NOT include: Personal care, medication or financial assistance.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is aged 21 or over, with at least 2 years driving experience
- Holds a full, clean and current UK Driving License (or equivalent)
- (If using your own car) Has a road worthy vehicle, with up to date road tax and MOT
- Is reliable, conscientious, friendly and calm
- Willing to commit to volunteer regularly (ideally once a week for at least 12 months)
A DBS check and two character references will be required for this role.
What you’ll gain from being a Discovery volunteer:
Discovery supports people with learning disabilities and autism, helping them to live more independently at home and in the community.
Our volunteers play a vital role in our work and in return, we support them with:
- Free certificated training (with access to 800 plus courses)
- Free membership to an online shopping discount scheme
- Comprehensive support from professional, friendly and trained Discovery staff
- Agreed travel expenses reimbursed, including petrol
- An opportunity to gain real experience in the social care sector
Want to apply for this role?
If you’d like to be a Discovery volunteer, we’d love to hear from you!