Museum of Croydon - Visitor Services Volunteer
Visitor services volunteers are the first point of contact for the Museum of Croydon and Archives service. For our visitors this volunteer role provides a warm welcome and excellent customer service to visitors to our busy Research Room of the Museum, as well as supporting the Museum team in ensuring a smooth service in providing access to our collections. This role will give you experience in Museum front of house operations and customer service.
- Meeting and greeting visitors to the Research Room and Exhibition Gallery.
- To log incoming and outgoing telephone calls.
- To complete day to day tasks to help keep our research room service operating
- Help our visitors understand our varied collections and facilitate access where appropriate
- To work closely with and support the Museum team to ensure an effective reception area.
- To promote the Museum’s services, galleries and events to visitors as required.
- Working with other volunteers to support the service.
This role will suit you if you are
- Enthusiastic and friendly who enjoys meeting people and talking to visitors.
- Good communication skills with an ability to listen and engage with a variety of people.
- Basic computer literacy including Microsoft Excel.
- Someone who can adapt and be flexible to meet the needs of a front of house museum service.
- An interest in the Museum of Croydon collections, social history and working with the public.
- Willingness to learn about the Museum of Croydon in general and significance of the role in promoting the Museum.
Ideally you would be able to commit to one day a week Tuesday to Saturday 10:30 to 5pm for a minimum of three months.
What You Will Gain
- Practical and valuable experience working in a Museum front of house role.
- Experience of volunteering in the heritage sector and working as part of team.
- Practical experience in handling and providing access to Museum and Archive collections.
- Experience working in a customer service environment.
Support and Training
- Full induction and training.
- Ongoing support through a Collections Access Officer.
- Travel expenses reimbursed up to £13.50 per day for volunteering.
- Up to £4 for food expenses if volunteering for a whole day.
How to Apply
If interested in the role please apply through Better Impact or send your C.V. and Cover Letter explaining why you would be interested to email@example.com.