The SEED - Community Food Market Volunteer
The SEED – Community Food Market Volunteer
Program: The SEED
Commitment: One 4-hour shift per week, or every other week; minimum 2-month commitment
Dates/Times: Saturdays; 6:30 / 7 am – 10 am OR 10 am – 1:30 pm
Support Person: Shearin Fahandazh, Market Lead - The SEED
Nicole Leighton, Market Coordinator – The SEED
Location: Guelph Farmer’s Market
2 Gordon Street (Corner of Wilson Street and Gordon Street)
Servicing: Community members of the city of Guelph
Impact of Position: Increased access to healthy food for community members
Goal of Position: Help make food more physically and financially accessible to community members in Guelph
- Engage in friendly conversation with customers
- Make the space feel welcoming and warm to everyone
- Operate the Square Reader for purchases
- Handle cash & make change
- Replenish and sort produce, as needed
- Help to set up or take down the mobile market (from the truck)
- Lift (up to 30lbs)
- Commitment to equity and anti-oppressive practices
- Comfort with people, friendly attitude
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
- Can lift up to 30lbs
- Great team player
- Comfort using iPads and cellphone apps
- Comfort handling money
- Supportive of The SEED’s mission, vision and values
- Reliable and punctual
- Vulnerable Sector Check on file
- Training and support from onsite staff as needed
- Have the opportunity to meet people in your community
- Directly contribute to building food security in Guelph
- Gain experience working in a customer service setting
- Gain knowledge of fresh produce
- Be appreciated for all of your hard work and patience
- Build your network and possibly gain future references
- Have Fun!
- Physical work, heavy lifting
- Working directly with the public
- Space with high public visibility
- Minimal supervision by Support Staff at times
- Handling money
About The SEED:
The SEED is a community food project of the Guelph Community Health Centre. About 16% of households in Guelph are food insecure (Guelph Wellbeing, 2014).
Mission: The SEED delivers community programs and advocates to address the causes and effects of food insecurity.
Vision: A community with no barriers to healthy food.
We believe in:
- Food Justice. Access to healthy food, food skills, and food policies are basic human rights.
- Community food programs. They empower us to be agents of change.
- Diversity. Solutions come from diverse voices, experiences and input.
- Grassroots community leadership. There are potential food leaders in every corner of Guelph.
About Community Food Markets:
The Community Food Markets are a weekly affordable fresh food market, aimed at increasing the accessibility (both physical and financial) of good food for everyone in Guelph.
Our items are priced on a sliding scale, you pay whatever feels right for you within the range listed. Everyone is always welcome! Paying the higher end of the scale subsidizes the cost for others in our community who benefit from the lower end of the scale. By shopping at the market, you are directly contributing to an equity-based food system.