About the role
Community Gardeners play a vital role in making Caledonian Park (known affectionately by locals as Cally Park) a great destination for the local community to enjoy. Community Gardeners assist the Friends of Cally Park and the Islington Parks team with basic gardening and maintenance tasks. Together we keep Cally Park looking great and a space for everyone to enjoy.
- Basic gardening including weeding, pruning, building log piles and planting with Parks Service and Friends of Caledonian Park
- Keeping the park tidy and collecting litter
- Reporting park issues to the Cally Clock Tower team e.g. broken equipment, park security, vandalism or cleaning
- Welcoming and helping people to find and use Caledonian Park services
What skills and qualities we are looking for?
- Friendly and enthusiastic.
- Willing to work in variable weather conditions.
- Enjoys working with a range of people from the community.
- Interest in nature, the environment and gardening.
- Ability to work independently.
- All welcome but please inform us of any health concerns as the role may require standing for long periods and requires some physical work.
What we would like from you?
- To be guided by the Caledonian Park and Islington Council policies and procedures, including health and safety, confidentiality and equal opportunities.
- To arrive for your scheduled time, or let us know in advance if you won’t be able to make it.
- To ask if you’d like to do something specific or have a particular interest.
- To let us know if there are any problems with your work, or anything you are not happy about.
- To behave appropriately to treat us with respect.
- Wear practical clothing and shoes for the weather and tasks.
What we can offer you?
- A welcoming and enjoyable experience.
- Flexibility to volunteer at a time that suits your needs.
- Training, information and support to be able to carry out your role.
- Regular discussions to see how you feel about your volunteer role and how we can help you develop or try a different volunteer role.
- A chance to have any ideas, suggestions or complaints that you have taken seriously.
- To be treated fairly with respect.
- Recognition for your contribution.
- To be covered by Islington Council’s Insurance and Health and Safety policies.
Caledonian Park is managed by Islington Council and sits within Parks Service who manage the local parks and green areas. Islington Heritage Service and Parks Service manage the Clock Tower and Heritage Centre in partnership. Our vision is of an accessible and inclusive Service, centred on increasing local cultural participation, exploring and celebrating local heritage and making valuable contribution to local priorities.
Caledonian Park is a popular site full of history. The centrepiece of the park is a 155ft (47.5m) high grade II* listed Clock Tower built in 1853.The Heritage Lottery Fund confirmed a grant award of £1,873,300 in December 2016. This funded our vision to revitalise Caledonian Park and secure the future of its clock tower.
Essential repairs have been made to the clock tower to ensure it is preserved for future
generations, and also to allow it to be open to the public on a more regular basis. The renovation includes work to the original bells, balcony and staircase. The original market railings on Market Road and Shearling Way have also been repaired and restored, and a small heritage centre built (the ‘Cally Clock Tower Centre’) with space for community and education activities. The café and toilet facilities are also new.
This role is purely voluntary and this arrangement is not a legally binding one or an
If you would like to find out more please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org