Open Volunteering Hours at Mona Center Farm
Join us on Wednesday and Saturday (TBD) mornings to get your hands in the dirt and help tend to the Mona Center Farm! Volunteer tasks for each day will be posted at the Mona Farm, but the work may include:
- Early-season: plant vegetable seeds, make and install row or bed labels, mulch beds, tidy up the area
- Mid-season: weed, mulch, and tidy up beds, update signage, transplant or harvest vegetables, fertilize plants, prepare harvested vegetables for storage or transport
- Late-season: harvest vegetables, clean up beds, plant winter crops
Qualifications: Volunteers who have an eager attitude and are willing to say "yes" to the Lead Farmer are most welcome. No gardening experience is necessary but it is welcome!
When: Wednesdays 10:00 AM until 12 NOON and Saturdays (TBD), 10:00 AM until 12 NOON
Where: Mona Center, 5859 Allentown Way, Temple Hills, MD 20748
What to Bring: Masks, 2-3 bottles of water, Clothing and accessories appropriate for the weather (i.e. hats, sunscreen, scarves, jackets, etc.) Mona Center Farm has gloves and tools for volunteers to use.
Confirm the following COVID-19 precautions:
- Everyone in the volunteer’s household is free from COVID-19 symptoms.
- Volunteers will wear a mask OR be vaccinated.
- Follow staff/safety monitor's instructions
- Present proof of COVID-19 vaccination upon arrival. Your vaccination card or a photo of the vaccination card will suffice. Required; effective September 19, 2021.
Why Volunteer: Volunteers will help the Mona Center Farm be as productive as possible. The vegetables harvested will go to Catholic Charities' KitchenWork, the catering job readiness program that provides the meals for St Maria's Meals food distribution.
Learn how Dr. Stephen Thomas and his students from the University of Maryland are engaging Community Residents and Business Owners about the awareness of the MONA Center and the MONA Urban Farm. In this engagement the class is asking for the Community input into the potential use and vision for the space. Additionally, students are envisioning a MONA Urban Farm Community Day.
This activity has the following schedule
|Date||Start Time||End Time|
|Wednesday, September 27, 2023||10:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Wednesday, October 04, 2023||10:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Wednesday, October 11, 2023||10:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Wednesday, October 18, 2023||10:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Wednesday, October 25, 2023||10:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Wednesday, November 01, 2023||10:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Wednesday, November 08, 2023||10:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Wednesday, November 15, 2023||10:00 AM||12:00 PM|