Habitat Restoration - Photographing wildflowers and pollinators
Purpose (why we are doing this)
Minnesota has a stewardship responsibility for those species of which populations in the state represent a significant portion of their North American breeding, migrating, or wintering population, or species whose Minnesota populations are stable, but whose populations outside of Minnesota have declined or are declining in a substantial part of their range.
Portions of St. Croix State Park are currently being restored to a native oak savanna biological community. This community will provide habitat for pollinators, flowering forbs, and other savanna species.
Assist with helping us determine if the pollinators in Minnesota are stable, declining, are vulnerable to decline or are below levels desirable to ensure their long-term health and stability.
Benefits to the Volunteer
Take this opportunity to make help a difference in documenting the wildflowers, bees and butterflies currently present in the area of St Croix State Park.
Responsibilities (duties and tasks)
- Take digital photos of wildflowers and invertebrate pollinators (bees, butterflies, moths) on state and/or private lands in and around St Croix State Park
- Email them in to Anna Hess, Eastern District Manager, Nongame Wildlife, Duluth at firstname.lastname@example.org
- No trespassing on private land without permission from private landowners
- Ability to photograph wildflowers and pollinators
- Ability to identify the location of where the photo was taken
- Ability to identify the flowers and/or pollinators, if possible (not required)
- Ability to electronically send the digital photo(s) to DNR staff (JPG preferred)
Safety training topics to be covered with volunteers:
- Poison Ivy
Minimum Time Commitment:
No minimum time commitment required - whatever time and photos that can be taken are appreciated.
This activity occurs between Monday, April 01, 2019 and Thursday, October 31, 2019
- Monday - All Day
- Tuesday - All Day
- Wednesday - All Day
- Thursday - All Day
- Friday - All Day
- Saturday - All Day
- Sunday - All Day