Assist residents at mealtime. Training is provided. This is a great position for busy people since you only need to give one hour per week.
- 6 months minimum ( 30 hours minimum). About 1 to 1.5 hours
- Introduce yourself to Nursing Staff as a Mealtime Volunteer and ask for an suitable resident for you to assist
- Introduce yourself to assigned resident and let them know you will be assisting them with their meal.
- Assist portering residents (following volunteer guidelines) to the dining room.
- Wash own hands
- Wash resident’s hands and help with placing napkin or clothing protector.
- Help serve meals according to diet plan as directed by nursing staff
- Assist residents with opening packages, cutting food, buttering bread, etc
- Assist the assigned (low risk) residents with their meals only in the dining room
- Socialize with residents during meals
- Provide verbal encouragement
- Use adaptive equipment when appropriate.
Ensure residents hands and face are clean at the end of meal.
Exhibit CapitalCare’s values at all times.
- Flexible schedule according to your availability. Weekly attendance is favorable,
- Register as a Volunteer and complete Volunteer Orientation.
- Watch and complete the Loving Spoonful training. https://vimeo.com/250314482 Password provided once you have become a registered Volunteer.
- Additional training and in-services may be available
- Excellent command for reading, speaking and comprehending English.
- Have an interest in serving people
- Accept direction and supervision
- Be dependable and committed
- Be friendly and trustworthy
- Able to communicate effectively with residents and staff
- Adult volunteer opportunity.