M-Clinic - Clinical
M Clinic is a peer-led and community-based HIV, STI and BBV screening clinic for gay and bisexual men, trans people and non-binary people who have sex with each other. The service provides treatment for STI’s, viral hepatitis and HPV vaccination, peer education and referrals to its clients. Nested within M Clinic is LinQ Medical, a Medicare-billing PrEP (HIV prophylaxis) prescribing service for people who are or perceive themselves at risk of acquiring HIV.
- Currently registered as a Nurse or Medical doctor.
- Weekday availability during business hours, an/or early evening Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- Able to commit to training, particularly in sexual health testing of GHAM.
- Has an open-mind, non-judgemental attitude and enthusiasm.
- Fortnightly to weekly shifts in order to maintain competency.
- Shifts are negotiable and generally half-day (3-4 hrs) once or twice a fortnight, but can be more or less based on the volunteer’s availability.
- Successful completion of WAAC Volunteer Introductory Training.
- Training in M Clinic clinical duties, including but not limited to, sexual health testing of asymptomatic GHAM, use of Best Practice clinical software, HIV risk reduction counselling.
- Ongoing training as required.
Volunteers who work in the M Clinic Program will gain a number of skills, such as:
- Skills and abilities in gay men’s sexual health history taking, testing and management.
- Verbal communication skills with patients.
- Skills and abilities in medical file management.
- Skills and abilities in Best Practice medical software.
- An understanding of HIV, STI’s and BBV’s in the context of GHAM.