NEW VOLUNTEER ...??? Start HERE!! - 3. Culture -Walk Abbotsford
Walk Abbotsford is a series of weekly 30 minute walks that take place in neighborhoods all over the city. These self-paced walks are designed to increase physical activity, improve social connection between residents and create a stronger sense of community and belonging.
Volunteer Walk Leaders will receive all the training they need in order to lead one of these neighborhood groups. Training includes:
- First aid/CPR
- Walk leader training workshop – 3 hours (dates to be announced)
One a volunteer walk leader has completed all their training they will be paired up with an experienced walk leader to co-lead their first walk. All walks will have 2-3 walk leaders present so that no person walks alone.
Interested in this program?
Sign up now and we will contact you once more details are available.
Note; your signup is an expression of interest; once details are available you can confirm your participation in this program and chose your specific shift assignment.
Description of Responsibilities:
• Greet and welcome walk participants
• Ensure participants have signed in each week
• Carry a backpack of supplies (provided)
• Lead participants along designated walk route
• Communicate with the Abbotsford Walk coordinator (as needed)
Skills and Qualifications Required:
• First aid/CPR - subsidized training available
• Walk leader training workshop – 3 hours (dates to be announced)
• Ability to lead a walk for 30 minutes.
• Ability to engage and encourage participants.
• Minimum age: 15.
• 2 - 3 hours per month
• Shift commitments are on a seasonal basis (ie Fall; Sept – Dec, Winter; January to March)
Individuals can record volunteer hours under "Hours Log" in their myvolunteerpage.com account. Staff will approve the hours you’ve logged.
All Volunteers for this program must be Level 3 approved. Level 3 volunteers are those that have successfully completed their orientation interview, a Criminal Record Check, two references and specialized training specific to their program area.
Chrissy Borseth, Volunteer Coordinator