Life Skills Resource Centre - Social Group Assistant Volunteer (Life Skills)
Sources Life Skills Program provides independent living support for adults who have an intellectual disability. Group and one-on-one services include life skills assessment and training, peer networking, roommate/accommodation search, and information and referral. Sources Life Skills offers day programs with an emphasis on life skills development, recreation, work or volunteer experiences, community participation, and the arts. The Life Skills Program also hosts a community kitchen, and evening social group.
The Tuesday Night Social Group is an event based out of the Sources Life Skills Centre that creates a safe environment for individuals from surrounding areas to meet, socialize and participate in activities with their peers. Volunteers are directly involved in delivery of the evening’s activities, food and beverage distribution along with helping to facilitate a variety of games and activities. Volunteers will also assist in set-up and clean-up of the evening.
The tasks and responsibilities of this position are:
- Works as a supportive member of the program staff team, by assisting other program staff in providing activities at the Tuesday Night Social Club.
- Assists program staff with set-up and clean-up of facilities used for activities.
- Prepare and serve snacks for clients.
- Participate in activity creation and delivery.
- Promptly provides the Program Manager or Staff Supervisor with ample information about program participants as well as any other potential problems or unusual situations.
- Ensures that the rights, dignity and confidentiality of all clients are maintained.
- Ensures the health and safety of all clients in the course of working with them.
- Ensures that Sources’ Policies and Procedures are followed, as well as the operating procedures of the Volunteer Resources Centre.
To be successful in this position, individuals must:
- Be 18+ years of age.
- Be observant to the needs of the program participants who are adults who live with intellectual and/or physical challenges.
- Have a genuine interest in interacting and engaging with clients of the Life Skills Program.
- Maintain a positive and supportive attitude with staff and clients of the program.
- Follow staff direction well and complete tasks as they are assigned in facilitating the Tuesday night Social Group.
- Experience working with adults with behaviour challenges would be an asset.
- Have the ability to work well with diverse client populations. Ability to relate to individuals across all socioeconomic and cultural groups.
- Have the ability to build rapport with a variety of individuals while maintaining a professional demeanour and firm professional boundaries.
- Have the ability to exercise good judgement in a demanding and continually changing work environment.
- Be willing to secure a Criminal Records Check. All positions have been designated by Sources Community Resource Society as requiring a Criminal Records Review prior to an applicant being employed in this capacity. Certain police records may preclude the appointment to certain positions.
Available to volunteer as specified by the Program Manager. This is usually from 4:30 – 8:00 on Tuesday evenings but may also include nights of a special event.
Benefits to this position:
Volunteers in this position have the opportunity to be part of creating and maintaining connections with our diverse demographic. Volunteering builds community and volunteers will see the benefits of their involvement through the genuine enjoyment and satisfaction of the adult clients of the Social Group. This is a perfect opportunity for individuals with a positive, kind and engaging nature to connect with clients, who would benefit most.
- Are you over the age of 18? Must be Yes
This activity generally occurs on
- Tuesday Evening