The Erskine Home (EH) - Mealtime Assistant McKELLAR (EH)
We are looking for some additional help within our meals support services situated within the Erskine Home. Ideally we are looking for adult volunteers 18yrs+ to support the lunch services and young adult volunteers 14yrs + to support our evening meal services
The commitment we look for is a minimum of 1 hour per week (one shift) with a minimum of 12 weeks service. There are currently opportunities Monday through Sunday. Lunch shifts can be 12 noon to 1pm or 12.30pm – 1.30pm and evening service can be 5pm-6pm or 5.30pm – 6.30pm.
No experience is necessary as training will be given. As you would be serving vulnerable adults (protected adults) volunteers are required to become members of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups Scheme and undergo an appropriate Disclosure Scotland Check as well as Erskine’s own vetting procedures.
There is no charge to you for your PVG check. Volunteer insurance is provided, and we can reimburse reasonable out of pocket travel expenses
Nourishment support within McKellar House. Help at mealtimes is crucial to ensure residents have a nutritious diet
Sample Activities & Responsibilities:
- Assisting to prepare dining area and residents in preparation of meals
- Encouraging and accompanying residents to and from the dining area
- Serving meals and pouring out juice and tea
- Chatting to residents where appropriate and encouraging them with independent eating and drinking
- Helping residents who need assistance with eating, e.g. cutting up food, ensuring dinner plates and napkin are in the right position and their drink is within reach and clearing away the plates when the resident is finished.
- Providing full assistance to a resident with his/her meal * Only where this has been agreed prior with the nurse in charge
- Helping to serve tea, coffee and refreshments where appropriate