Thank you for your interest in volunteering with HIAS in Greater Washington DC! Volunteers are invaluable in helping to welcome refugees and asylum seekers as they begin their lives as new Americans.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW IN ORDER TO BECOME A HIAS VOLUNTEER:
1) Click fill in an application to create a volunteer profile with HIAS
2) Scroll down to register for an upcoming Volunteer Information Session. We require this of all prospective volunteers.
3) After attending HIAS' Volunteer Information Session, check your email to receive the link to complete a full volunteer application
4) Be interviewed by a HIAS Volunteer Coordinator
5) Wait for HIAS' volunteer coordinators to match you with an appropriate mentee, based on your availability, location, and qualifications
6) Once you have been matched, complete a background check. HIAS kindly asks all volunteers to cover the cost of this requirement.
6) Attend HIAS' Volunteer Training to review your position responsibilities and learn how to make your volunteer experience most impactful.
7) START VOLUNTEERING!
HIAS rescues people whose lives are in danger for being who they are. We protect the most vulnerable refugees, helping them build new lives and reuniting them with their families in safety and freedom. Guided by our Jewish values and history, we bring more than 130 years of expertise to our work with refugees.