Nature Education Volunteer
Urban Green Newcastle is working hard to protect the city’s pollinators through our Beelines North East project, in partnership with Northumberland Wildlife Trust. Through this project we want to help connect young people with nature and will be running a variety of engagement events across our parks, that include exciting nature trails and brilliant bug hunts. We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to work alongside our Education Officer, helping run fun, interactive activities for school children, families, and the local community.
By becoming an Urban Green Nature Education Volunteer, you will be helping support our Beelines project by connecting people with nature through various outdoor activities.
- Help deliver education sessions - You will be working closely with our Education Officer, helping deliver enjoyable, outdoor learning sessions to children aged 5-11. These sessions are designed to encourage children to have fun exploring nature and learn outside of the classroom.
- Help run park events - You will help run nature-based events in our parks that encourage nature discovery, from hunting for minibeasts to building bee hotels. These events are designed to engage families from the local community.
Who would this role suit?
We are a small team, so a can-do attitude and sense of fun is vital in this volunteer role. We are looking for people who are:
- Able to engage with children and members of the local community.
- Able to learn teaching materials and lead education sessions.
- Enthusiastic about natural world, with some knowledge about local wildlife and habitats.
- Able to work effectively as part of a small team.
- Able to commit to volunteering at least twice a month.
In order to work with children, volunteers will be asked to take a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check.