Become a foster hero!
As the city of Fort Worth's only open admission shelter, we never turn away a pet in need. Foster caregivers help us save lives of pets recovering from illness or injury, orphaned kittens and puppies, and many other animals that may thrive better in a home environment than in the shelter. Most pets at FWACC that are available for adoption are also available for foster, and we welcome fosters who can take pets into their homes for any length of time. Foster parents help increase the adoptability of these shelter animals by providing care and a foster home during this time of transition from the shelter to an adopter’s home. As a foster parent, you are a volunteer and helping us save lives of shelter pets in need. Whether you are able to commit to just an afternoon or a longer opportunity, we have a verity of ways for you to get involved.
Foster parents are most in need for:
- Short term foster placement, such as an Out and About day trip or overnight sleepover. Short term foster decreases stress in our animals, gives them a much needed break from the shelter, and helps us gain valuable information about the pet to help match them with their future adopter. This is a great way to try out fostering because it is a short-term commitment that makes a HUGE difference in the life of a shelter pet! Find out more about this type of fostering below.
- Medium-large adult dogs who have been in the shelter for longer than 30 days! Some animals (through no fault of their own!) can be passed by in the shelter. These "hidden gems" often times just need to get out of the shelter and have someone advocating for them to find an adopter.
- Puppies/kittens or moms with newborns that are too young to be adopted
- Pets recovering from an illness or injury needing some extra TLC and medical care
How to foster:
- Fill out our foster form (link on the right).
- You will recieve a welcome email within 72 hours of submitting your application. Read through the email to find your foster manual for more information on setting up an appointment.
What does the shelter provide?
- WE provide all vaccinations, spay/neuter, microchip and pre-authorized vet care for your foster pet. Food, treats and other basic supplies (beds, crates, leash, etc.) will be supplied to you, depending on availability (these are donation based).
- YOU provide the basics – your home, exercise, space, socialization and love.
You can view our dashboard of pets currently available for foster by clicking here. Please note: this list is updated frequently, but some animals may have already found their forever or foster homes!
Please email FWACCfoster@fortworthtexas.gov if you have any questions.