Outreach - Veterans Connect Point of Contact Benefit Coach
Serve as point of contact to ensure that Veterans and Veteran families of every era know how to get connected to the state and federal benefits and services they have earned through military service.
Benefits to Veterans:
• Improve the lives of Veterans and their families;
• Bring hundreds of millions of dollars into the State every year;
• Lower the local cost of Veteran healthcare;
• Reduce Veteran homeless numbers;
• Reduce Veteran unemployment numbers;
• Increase Veteran enrollment in California colleges and universities.
• Interest in helping and serving Veterans and their families;
• Patience, empathy and good listening and interpersonal skills;
• Familiarity with military life, Veterans’ issues, reintegration challenges, or willingness to learn;
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and respect personal boundaries;
• Basic computer and Internet skills required; smart phone experience helpful.
• Successful completion of all training for this position.
1. “Staff” a Veteran Resource Station in the library for a minimum of one 2-hour shift per week to meet with Veterans and/or family members. Serve as expert listener and initial problem solver.
2. Help each Veteran or Veteran family member complete the My CalVet online form at www.calvet.ca.gov. These helps identify the benefits and services they need and for which they may be eligible. Once in the system, CalVet or a designated representative, will make contact with the Veteran.
3. Guide the Veteran toward those benefits that are likely to enhance their particular situation and, using the California Veteran’s Resource Book, provide contact information for the County Veterans Service Office in their county of residence so they can make an appointment. Also, provide a checklist of the basic documents the Veteran should take to their appointment in order to expedite their access to services.
4. If, during the conversation, additional service needs are identified, provide contact information to other library or community services. If a Veteran is in a crisis, refer to the list of emergency service numbers provided.
5. Maintain data on number of Veterans/family members served, types of questions asked, referrals made, and issues/topic areas needed but not covered in the library’s collection.
- What age category do you belong to? Must be at least 18+
This activity generally occurs on
- Tuesday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening
- Wednesday Evening
- Thursday - Morning, Afternoon
- Friday - Morning, Afternoon, Evening
- Saturday - Morning, Afternoon