Diaper Depot Volunteer Activity Description
Objective: One in three families in America struggles to afford diapers for their children. Diapers are a basic need, as essential to children’s health and well-being as food and shelter. The Food Depot’s Diaper Depot seeks to address this need. The Volunteer Diaper Depot Assistant will work with the Resource Navigator to distribute diapers, baby food and formula, and resource information during the two weekly diaper distributions. During these times there are intervals of being very busy and regular slow periods. Bilingualism in Spanish/English would be helpful in this position but is not required. It is also an excellent opportunity for those learning Spanish to practice that language.
Location: 1222 A Siler Road, Santa Fe, NM 87507 - Lobby
Supervisor: Navigation Coordinators, Vilma Salinas and Kayla Bostic
- Reports to assigned shift consistently and gives advanced notice for absences.
- Provides excellent and friendly customer service.
- Assists resource navigator in setting up and taking down distribution station (e.g. packs of diapers, tables, signs, etc.)
- Assists resource navigator in distributing diapers, baby food, and baby formula to program participants and recording name and phone number of participants.
- Informs program participants about available community food resources such as The Food Depot drive-through distributions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Dependable, organized and detail-oriented
- Social and able to provide friendly customer service
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Able to stand for the entire 3-hour shift
- Ability to complete repetitive motions, bend, lift and twist
- Bilingual/Biliterate in Spanish/English helpful but not essential
Dress Code: Closed-toed, non-slip shoes; clean long pants or shorts (depending on the elements) and The Food Depot logoed sleeved shirts.
Time Commitment: One scheduled 3 hour shift each week. Volunteers in this role will experience a varying work flow and may experience periods of inactivity while waiting for assignments. Volunteers are asked to commit to at least two shifts each month.
Schedule Intervals: Shifts are Tuesday mornings 8:15 – 11:15 AM and Thursday afternoons 3:15 – 6:15 PM.