Food Preparation & Kitchen Support Volunteer Job Description
Objective: This volunteer position will play a critical role in helping Kids Kitchen provide nutritious, freshly prepared meals for children in need in Northern New Mexico. Specifically, the Food Preparation & Kitchen Support Volunteer will assist an Executive Chef, Sous Chef and other staff members to prepare meals for all of Kids Kitchen’s feeding sites following food safety protocols in a commercial production kitchen.
Location: 1409 Monterey Drive, Santa Fe, NM 87505
Supervisor: Executive Chef and Sous Chef at Kids Kitchen (all scheduling will be conducted with the Volunteer Department at The Food Depot)
- Reports to assigned shifts consistently and gives advanced notice for absences to Volunteer Department at The Food Depot
- Reports to work with good personal hygiene and prepared to follow dress code for food safety reasons
- Follows food safety protocols to prepare food (washing, peeling, slicing, dicing, etc.) in a timely manner
- Counts and weighs food and supplies as needed
- Helps with dishes, cleaning and setting tables for part of scheduled shift as needed
- Closely follows instructions from kitchen staff to stay in compliance with the requirements for federal meal reimbursement
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and open large #10 cans (that hold over 100 oz.) with a can opener
- Sure-footed and able to stand for an entire 2.5-hour shift
- Ability to complete repetitive motions, bend, lift and twist
- Ability to safely work with knives
- Desire to provide healthy, nutritious meals to children
- Willingness to work alongside aspiring culinary professionals mentored by the Executive Chef
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a staff/volunteer team
- Ability to pass a background screening using public records (CYFD)
- 16 years and older; prior commercial kitchen experience not necessary (but helpful!)
Required Training: Food Safety for Handlers Training (an online training paid for by Kids Kitchen).
Additional Requirements: Must have an active CYFD background check. Currently, must also show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination.
Dress Code: Closed-toed, non-slip shoes; clean long pants or shorts (depending on the task) and The Food Depot logoed sleeved shirts; hair pulled back into hairnet; excessive or dangly jewelry removed.
Time Commitment: One scheduled 2.5 hour shift per week or several 2 hour shifts per month. Due to the training involved, we ask for at least a one-month commitment. Shifts take place from 9 to 11:30 AM.
Schedule Intervals: Shifts are daily, Monday through Friday.