Hippodrome Foundation Inc. (HFI) and Broadway Across America Baltimore thank you for your interest in the generous gift of time. As a volunteer you would have the privilege of seeing wonderful touring productions and talented entertainers. You also have the opportunity to meet exciting people and forge new friendships with your fellow volunteers.
HFI manages the Volunteer Usher Program as a result of a Service Agreement with Broadway Across America, the operator of the France-Merrick Performing Arts Center. Under this agreement, HFI’s ushers must provide the best possible experience for Hippodrome patrons. All of our guidelines and policies revolve around maximizing the patron experience.
Volunteer Ushers are vital in making our patrons feel welcome and comfortable in our theater. It is you who will give the first and most lasting impression to our patrons, whether you are seating, scanning tickets, answering questions or offering directions. The primary goal of the volunteer usher is patron satisfaction.
Minimum requirements to participate in HFI Usher Program are:
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
- Volunteers must be able to climb stairs, work in the balcony as well as the orchestra, and stand for extended periods of time.
- Volunteers must be able to see well enough to read small print on tickets.
- Volunteers must commit to working a minimum of one performance per month during the active season. If you cannot usher in a given month, we ask you to pick up an additional shift in another month or request a leave of absence.
- Ushers will staff a variety of performances including touring Broadway, concerts, comedy, family shows and ballet.
- Volunteers must provide their own black and white attire, and flashlight.
- Volunteers need internet access and an email address to receive program communications and sign up for performances.
- Volunteers must attend an orientation class.
New for this season: All ushers and Hippodrome staff will be required to wear a mask as part of their uniform. Additionally, all ushers and staff will need to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Ushers will be required to show proof of vaccination at their training date.
If this interests you and you have a love for Broadway and live entertainment, please consider joining our volunteer usher program by completing an application. If you have any other questions please email email@example.com