Summary: Volunteers serve as stewards of the Military Women’s Memorial (MWM) and its mission to honor and pay tribute to America’s servicewomen throughout history and into the future. A volunteer Tour Guide will lead group or individual tours either pre-scheduled or on a recurring basis. Many tours are often requested for weekends, holidays, and special after hour events. A Tour Guide will be a knowledgeable representative of the MWM.
Location: Military Women’s Memorial
- Lead tours for a wide range of groups and/or individuals.
- Provide tours that may range from a summation/orientation of the Memorial to one that provides more detailed information depending on the needs and request of the customer.
- Provide knowledgeable information about the Memorial layout, exhibits, mission, history, symbolism of architecture, and certain biographies (the HERstory) of women who have served.
- Have a basic understanding of the membership Registration process. All tours will include the Registration area.
- Encourage servicewomen to register their stories.
- Provide knowledgeable answers to any visitor questions or direct visitors to the person or office who would best be able to provide such information.
- Ensure accuracy of information by only providing Memorial approved content.
- Strong communications skills.
- Comfortable with public speaking in front of large or small groups.
- Ability to stand and walk during the duration of the shift.
- An interest and willingness to learn about military women’s history.
Training: All volunteers will be required to attend orientation training at the Memorial. This orientation will discuss the history of the Memorial and the volunteer program policies. Volunteers will also receive additional training specific to their assigned position.
Time Commitment: A duration of at least six months is required. Volunteers will need to work at least 8 hours per month.