Summary: Volunteers serve as stewards of the Military Women’s Memorial (MWM) and its mission to honor and pay tribute to America’s servicewomen throughout history and into the future. A Visitor Services volunteer will often provide the ‘first impression’ to the general public by greeting and welcoming visitors to the Memorial. They will make a critical contribution to the mission of MWM by encouraging servicewomen to register their stories.
Location: Military Women’s Memorial
- Greet and welcome all guests at the Information Desk.
- Orient visitors to the layout of the Memorial.
- Answer visitor questions to the best of your knowledge or direct visitors to the person or office who would best be able to provide such information.
- Provide information regarding ongoing or upcoming scheduled events, special events, programs, and exhibits.
- Distribute printed information as necessary.
- Escort guests to designated areas as required.
- Assist the Memorial Associate with the operations of the Registration area as needed.
- Assist customers researching the name of a servicewoman in the database using the Registration kiosks.
- Instruct customers on how to register a servicewoman.
- Assist the Memorial Associate with processing Profile printouts and/or Deluxe packages.
- Provide assistance with after hour or holiday Special Events when available. (Holidays include Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Veterans Day).
- Assist MWM staff or Special Event coordinator with designated tasks.
- Strong customer service skills – volunteers will interact with visitors with a wide range of diverse background.
- Strong communications skills
- Willingness to engage with and speak to groups both large and small.
- Ability to work with a team to provide visitors the best experience.
- Basic computer/technical skills to run film and videos.
- Ability to learn and work the Registration kiosk computers.
- Ability to get to and from the Memorial.
Training: All volunteers will be required to attend orientation training at the Memorial. This orientation will discuss the history of the Memorial and the volunteer program policies. Volunteers will also receive additional training specific to their assigned position.
Time Commitment: A duration of at least six months is required. Volunteers will need to commit to working at least 8 hours per month.