Adult Events and Talks
"I don’t like to be committed to one session of anything a week. I enjoy flexibility. I enjoy helping at the evening talks at BRLSI [East Asian Friday talks at Bath Royal and Literary Scientific Institution], so I'm always looking out for that because I really learn a lot."
Liz, Events Volunteer
Event Volunteers help promote a high-quality visitor experience for individuals attending Museum events, talks and workshops. You will provide a warm welcome to all visitors, be responsive to their needs and on hand to assist the MEAA event lead. You will monitor activities and be conscious about general security and health and safety.
- Greet and welcome visitors to the Museum or events venue
- Be on hand to answer any questions that visitors may have about the event, current exhibitions and the Museum
- Check names off the event guestlist or take payment for event tickets on the door, if needed
- Assist the event lead and fellow volunteers during set up, throughout the event, and tidying up afterwards
- Help with collecting visitor feedback and other evaluations, as appropriate
- Promote the Museum events programme, temporary exhibitions, Friends and Volunteer programmes, where appropriate
- Check the event space is in a clean, safe and tidy condition and report any health and safety issues to the event lead
- Attend volunteer training sessions and exhibition briefings as required
We are looking for volunteers who are...
Friendly, enjoy meeting new people and want to help! You are confident communicating with people of all ages and backgrounds, want to help promote the Museum’s activities and are passionate about enhancing visitor experience. You may have an interest in the arts or East Asian culture, or perhaps you have attended our events and wish to get actively involved.
Why you might enjoy this role...
You will gain insight into the workings of a small museum, develop your visitor service skills through engaging with the public and deepen your knowledge of East Asian art and culture through talks and workshops. Events volunteers are usually scheduled in pairs or groups, so if you enjoy working as part of a team, then this is the role for you! You will also be able to attend learning opportunities such as exhibition briefings and Volunteer Sharing Sessions to deepen your knowledge of the collection. As a volunteer you will benefit from free entry to the Museum, 10% discount in the Shop, discounted entry to workshops and events, social volunteer events and more!
How to get involved
This role is open to individuals aged 18 years or over. You can register your interest with the Volunteer Coordinator or apply online. Prior to joining the team, applicants are invited for an informal chat and attend an induction session with the Volunteer Coordinator. Your first shift is spent shadowing an experienced volunteer and you will be given role-specific training and relevant opportunities to learn about the Museum, collection and visitor experience. Event Volunteers are supervised by the Membership & Volunteer Coordinator, who is there to support you and deal with any questions or concerns.
Availability and schedule
East Asian Friday talks are generally scheduled on the first Friday of every month (19:00 – 20:00) and adult workshops on Saturdays during opening hours (10:00 – 16:30). Volunteer event shifts are usually 2-3 hours long and scheduled in pairs or groups.