Family Events and Workshops
"[My favourite memory was] the Japanese festival - I really enjoyed it. We did the tea ceremony, dressed up in a kimono, it was a special day!"
Family Event Volunteers promote a high-quality visitor experience for families attending Museum events and workshops. You will provide a warm welcome to all families, be responsive to their needs and on hand to help the Learning team deliver events, workshops and learning activities. You will monitor activities and be vigilant about safeguarding, security and health and safety.
- Greet and welcome families to the Museum and event space
- Support the Learning team and fellow volunteers during set up, throughout the event, and tidying up afterwards
- Be on hand to answer any questions that families may have about the event, current exhibitions and the Museum
- Promote the Museum events programme, temporary exhibitions, Friends and Volunteer programmes, where appropriate
- Provide information about the Museum’s Learning programme whenever appropriate
- Stay alert, responsive and available to assist families with activities
- Assist with collecting feedback and other evaluations, as appropriate
- Check the event space is in a clean, safe and tidy condition and report any health and safety issues to the event lead
- Report any safeguarding concerns immediately to the event lead
- Attend event briefings, training sessions and workshops as required
We are looking for volunteers who are...
Friendly, enjoy working with young people and want to help! You are confident communicating with people of all ages, able to multi-task and are passionate about enhancing families’ visitor experience at the Museum. You may have a background in education or are interested in museums and learning and wish to get actively involved. You’re able to work both as part of a team and one to one with families.
Why you might enjoy this role...
You will gain insight into the workings of a small museum, develop experience working with families and learn more about the Museum’s Learning and outreach programme. You will also be able to volunteer at other Museum events and workshops, and attend learning opportunities such as exhibition briefings and Volunteer Sharing Sessions. As a volunteer you will benefit from free entry to the Museum, 10% discount in the Shop, discounted entry to workshops and events, social volunteer events and more!
How to get involved
This role is open to individuals aged 18 years or over. You can register your interest with the Volunteer Coordinator or apply online. Prior to joining the team, applicants are invited for an informal chat and attend an induction session with the Volunteer Coordinator. Your first shift is spent shadowing an experienced volunteer and you will be given role-specific training and relevant learning opportunities. Family Event Volunteers are supervised by the Membership & Volunteer Coordinator, who is there to support you and deal with any questions or concerns.
Availability and schedule
Family Events are scheduled on Saturdays and weekdays during school holidays. We also organise family workshops to celebrate Lunar New Year (February half-term) and Museums Week (last week of October). Family Events are 1-2 hours long and scheduled twice or three times per day. You can volunteer at one, two or all the workshops if you like! Event briefings are usually organised a week or two in advance, or on the day of the event itself.