COVID-19 Volunteer Activities - Wednesday: Food Packaging Volunteer
Wednesday: Food Packaging Volunteer
Join Catholic Charities at their Spanish Catholic Center location in DC to assist with the weekly food distribution. Now more than ever we need volunteers to assist our operations as more and more people in our community begin to rely upon local food donation centers to feed their families.
Volunteers who are screened and cleared will assemble grocery packages for pick up and unload food from the delivery truck.
As a precaution: Volunteers who wish to continue helping may return for a shift every 2 weeks.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- 4 volunteers per shift will work with the staff.
- Help unload food from the delivery truck.
- Work a station on the food package assembly line.
- Follow the protocol to replenish food supplies as they are used up.
Safety measures to mitigate COVID-19:
- Register online for a shift
- Participate in phone health screening questions 24 hrs in advance and upon arrival.
- Bring "Travel Letter" in case needed.
- Wear mask or face cover --bring your own.
- Wear gloves--(provided onsite)
- Occupy a marked space, maintain physical distance from other volunteers and clients.
- Follow staff/safety monitor's instructions.
- Schedule to volunteer no more than once every 14 days.
Desired Skills and Characteristics:
- Helpful and cooperative and a calm demeanor.
- Able to follow directions and maintain a safe environment.
- Able to stand for approximately 3 hrs.
- Able to lift approximately 15 pounds at a time and lighter weights repeatedly.
- Volunteers must be between the ages of 18 years and 59 years old.
- Volunteers MUST affirm:
- Are free from COVID-19 like symptoms, including allergy-induced coughing, for the last 14 days.
- Everyone in their household is free from COVID-19 symptoms.
- Followed the stay-at-home order for the last 14 days.
- Able to provide their own face cover or mask AND wear it for the duration of their volunteer shift.
- Spanish Catholic Center: 1618 Monroe St NW, Washington DC 20100
- Volunteers meet in the parking lot behind the building, access from Park Road
- VERY LIMITED street parking available near SCC. There is a paid public garage 4 blocks away at the Target on 14th St.
- Choose a shift:
- Shift 1: 9:00 am-11:00 am (4 volunteers needed)
- Shift 2: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm (4 volunteers needed)
- Volunteers may choose to sign up for multiple shifts per day.
- Volunteers may return for every 2 weeks.
This activity has the following schedule
|Date||Start Time||End Time|
|Wednesday, October 28, 2020||9:00 AM||11:30 AM|
|Wednesday, November 04, 2020||9:00 AM||11:30 AM|
|Wednesday, November 11, 2020||9:00 AM||11:30 AM|
|Wednesday, November 18, 2020||9:00 AM||11:30 AM|
|Wednesday, November 25, 2020||9:00 AM||11:30 AM|